Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Thursday, June 30, 2005
I'm on holidays from kinder and swimming at this moment, which is kind of weird because I really like going to both of them, but anyway... We've been doing some fun things. Last Sunday we went to Ronan's first birthday party. I love parties because there's usually cake and lolly bags. Yum, lolly bags!!! Jazzie and I gave Ronan his birthday presents and waited for him to open them, but he didn't look like he knew what to do so I kind of helped him. Okay, unwrapped them for him. Then some more people came and gave him presents, but he still hadn't caught on about the unwrapping bit, so I did my best to help him with the other presents as well. Various people tried to stop me from helping him, but I thought that was a bit mean because he clearly couldn't do it by himself, so I kept persisting until Mum dragged me away. I think I got distracted by some fizzy drink after that. And the birthday cake, which was so yummy that I demanded two pieces by threatening to have a meltdown on the loungeroom floor. In a total first, I managed to eat the whole of my lolly bag before bedtime! I was VERY happy with that.

We've been to lots of playgrounds over the last few days; one with Nan and Grandad, one with Granny and a few with Mum. We had heaps of fun exploring Damper Creek with Granny on Monday. There was a track that ran beside a little creek, which had rocks all through it. I really wanted to do lots of rock-hopping, but Mum and Granny insisted that I stay to the path. It really was fun, though. At the end of the path was a playground that we mucked about at for a while before heading back again. Then we played about at Granny's house with the toys in the chest, which we haven't done for ages. Jaz and I really enjoyed ourselves.

We spent Tuesday with Nan and Grandad because Mum had to go to the dentist, AGAIN. But that was okay because we love it at Nan's. On Wednesday, Mum and I had the whole day together since Jazzie went to play with 'Meila. After dropping Jazzie, we went to Watt's Cooking for a hot chocolate and a cake - yum! I ate the froth off the top of my drink and licked the icing and lollies off the top of the cake. That was enough for me because I didn't have any holes left in my tummy. Once we got home we played footy in the park - I'm loving kicking the ball around at the moment, largely because I can now mostly get my foot somewhere near the ball.

Mum was feeling tired after all that, so she insisted on some quiet time while she had a cup of tea and a read. I pottered around with my toys until she'd finished her tea, and then we went off to the Hawks Nest - the official Hawthorn Footy Club shop - to get me a top. Some of my friends at kinder have been wearing their footy jumpers and I really wanted to get one too. So I was so happy to go to the shop; it was wonderful poking around in there. I kicked the footballs and pulled tops of the shelves and tried on the caps - it was such fun! I also searched through all the badges to find someone with the number '4' because I'm 4. The man behind the counter thought that was very logical thinking. I settled on a long-sleeved t-shirt with 'Hawks' written on the front, but I also got a free scarf with a big '4' on it because I've been a member for four years. I was very happy with that. I was desperate to go straight home after that, even though the Hawks were training over the road, so I could kick my footy again. Unfortunately I'd nearly fallen asleep by the time we got home, so I blobbed on the couch in front of ABC kids instead. It was a great day!

Today we went to the Kew Traffic School with my playgroup friends. I rode my bike around the little streets and it was okay at first, but then it got so crowded I got all anxious. A boy rode in front of me and I dodged him, but fell off my bike straight after. I was upset, but didn't cry. Mum wiped the dirt off me and I climbed back on, but there were kids going everywhere and Mum wouldn't stay right with me, so I got more upset. I still managed to ride for about an hour, so that was a good effort I guess. But I was happy to leave and go home to play with Jazzie. It rained as soon as we left, which I was really happy about because we got to play about at home for the rest of the day.

Sunday, June 19, 2005
Want to see me driving my tractor and scaring the pants off Grampa? Here is a short movie.

Saturday, June 18, 2005
WHOOOOAAAAAAR! I've just had the absolutely best time I've ever had! I've been riding on my very own tractor!

Grampa has been building me this tractor for ages. Each time he's visited over the last few months he's pulled it out and got me to sit on it and has checked that it's the right size. Yesterday he pulled it out of his car all in pieces, so I helped him put it together. Then I helped him measure the size it needed to be and told him, 'Hmm, it's ten points, Grampa', so Grampa put the back rest on ten points back. I sat on it and held the steering wheel and felt so happy, not that I wanted to show Grampa that, of course. I sat there trying to look cool and calm, but I had to hide my face a couple of times when I thought I might smile too much.

But the best was to come: we took the tractor out to the street and it actually drove forwards all by itself! Grampa showed me how to make it go faster and slower as we drove up the street. I was a bit tentative, but when we took it over to the park I really let loose. It was such FUN!!! I zoomed around the grass making circles and zigzags and even pulled some very cool moves where I headed straight for a tree and turned at the last moment! I hooted and laughed and yelled; it was so wonderful.

Once I was feeling pretty confident I zoomed down to the road, dodged between the barriers and turned straight down the path. Dad and Grampa were tearing after me sounding terrified, but I had it all under control - I'm a natural at this! I could have driven the tractor for hours, but unfortunately it was getting dark and pretty cold, so we packed it in for the day.

This morning we all headed off to the Farmers' Market, but all I could think about was the tractor. Oh, and to make sure that Mum bought me a chocolate croissant for morning tea. When we were in the car I asked, 'Mum, can I take my chocolate croissant on the tractor with me?' Mum said that we'd have a hot chocolate and pastries at home before riding the tractor, but I had a better suggestion and told her, ''Well... I might have a bite, then put it in a Tupperware and take it on the tractor with me. Then I might feel a bit hungry and I would have a bite and put it back in the Tupperware and keep riding the tractor.' I thought it was a very good idea, but Mum won and I had to eat pastries and drink milo before going out to drive again - hmpf.

I had a great time again when we went out this morning; although, Dad got pretty angry with me for driving on the road. How was I to know that there was a car about to drive down it? And anyway, the car stopped for me, so it was fine; I don't know what he was worried about. But we all really enjoyed driving the tractor in the park and past all the footy crowds - especially Grampa!

Sunday, June 12, 2005
I pulled such a smooth move last week! I've been waking up around 6am most days. I go for a pee, then check my clock. I hang around for as long as I can stand then go and stroke either Mum or Dad's face to wake them up. I can usually persuade Dad to get up with me at around a quarter to seven, but I really get sick of waiting.

So last Wednesday when I woke at 6am I reset my clock to 7am.

I went and woke Dad, who leapt out of bed and told me how well I'd slept! He he he. We happily mucked about together until Jazzie woke at 6.30 (probably because we were making so much noise) and Dad took her into Mum as he usually does. It was then that I got sprung - Mum staggered out of the room grumbling, 'It's only 6.30!!!' Daddy raced over and stared at the clock in the kitchen while I stuck my tongue in my cheek and tried not to laugh.

Happily Daddy wasn't too angry; in fact, I think he was quite impressed! But it might be a while before I can pull that move off again!


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License