Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Wednesday, March 31, 2004
I've had a fun week. I've been playing with my train set a lot and also with a huge box than Sonja brought over for me. I made it my nest and put my doona inside it and snuggled in there going, 'tweet, tweet'. It was very cosy so I put in some books and some train set pieces and a few Thunderbirds and laid back flipping through my colours book. I also like to hide in the box with the lid on and pop out like Jack-in-the-box. Jazzie was hanging around it yesterday so I picked her up and lifted her inside. Mum came flying over just as I was tipping Jazzie over the edge and probably saved her from face-planting into the nest. I hadn't thought about the landing - just the getting up to the edge bit. She was a bit heavier than I thought.

I seem to be having to plead with Mum and Dad to get what I want all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I wanted some of Mummy's wine the other day. I asked, 'I have a sip of Mummy's wine? I have a sip? Please? Pleeeeease?' Mum kept saying no and when I kept asking, she said, 'My answer's still No'. I looked at her and said, 'No. My answer's yes'. I got a good reaction for that, but no wine!

But yesterday when I woke from my nap I said to Mum, 'I might watch that special present video and Mum, you might sit next to me and I might put my arm around your neck'. I got the video and Mum sat next to me for cuddles. It was very nice.

This morning I had Daddy waiting on me. He was in the kitchen so I called out, 'I want a hot cross bun.' Then I added a, 'pleeease', as an afterthought. Daddy told me when it was ready so I said to him, 'bring it over!' That got me raised eyebrows from both Mum and Daddy; I had to go and get it myself. I pointed to the pieces and said, 'Dis one's for Jazzie...she eats it later'. As I was eating my pieces I said, 'Daddy, I want to have babycino.' Daddy asked, 'Will I bring it over?' and I nodded and grinned. He brought it over, but it wasn't right. I yelled, 'Noooo, not dis spoon!!' Daddy wouldn't change it for me, so I had to eat my froth with milo on top with the wrong spoon. It was still pretty yummy,though!

Wednesday, March 24, 2004
Mum and I went to the Zoo this morning - Yay!! I've been wanting to go for ages and we were able to today since Michelle had to cancel my daycare, so we had a free day. We were in the car on the way there and I excitedly told Mum, 'I might see de efalents an' de seals an' de pecalins an' de kangaroos'. I was so happy. Then Mum said we would stop off at Brunetti's on the way. I wanted to go straight to the zoo so I said, 'No. Not go Brunetti's, go Zoo now'. Happily I got my way.

We spent ages there - the longest time ever. I ran around between each of the exhibits and even spent as long as five seconds or so looking at the seals before running off again. I was fine until I went exploring around a pond and Mum tried to stop me. I chucked a wobbly and lay down on my back when she told me to go back. Then she came and yanked me to my feet while I protested, but I got the last laugh because I'd managed to lie down on top of fresh swan poo and Mum got it all over her hand when she picked me up. He he he.

Usually I fade after an hour or so, but this time it was Mum getting tired. Maybe I should have let her have that coffee.Mum got slower and slower and eventually I took pity on her and asked to go to Brunetti's. I was looking forward to a babycino too, but when we got there, there were no car parks anywhere and we had to miss out. I wasn't happy and yelled, 'I want go Brunetti's and then go Bell park!!' Mummy said sorry, but we had to go home. I don't remember what happened next because I woke up when Daddy lifted me out of the car.

I'm thinking a lot about all the things I can do when I'm bigger. I was standing on the balcony thinking about it tonight and told Mum, 'Mum, I grow up I might go tram and go Thunderbirds house and I might stand at wall like Virgil and tip over'.

Tuesday, March 23, 2004
I had the best fun with Daddy yesterday. I told him I wanted a, 'tar like Murray's', so we got out some boxes and stickers and my textas and set about making a guitar. We spent about fifteen minutes making it together, then I played it while Mum and Dad sang Wiggles songs and danced. I'm very pleased with it!

Thursday, March 18, 2004
'Mum...I grow up, I lose a fire truck!'

Wednesday, March 17, 2004
Mum's driving has got me worried a few times lately. Sometimes she jerks the car about, especially when driving out our street. Last week I had to tell her, 'Mum, not go too fast. Car might broke an Mum might get a new one. Car might broke, Mum'. She drove a bit slower after that.

I had the best weekend with Mum and Dad and Jazzie. On Saturday we went back to the Tram Museum and once again I romped all through all the trams and stomped on as many bells as I could find. I turned the steering wheels and pulled on the bell-pulls and climbed up and down lots of steps and ladders to get in and out of all the trams. I like to drive the orange tram with all the buttons - I call it Mr. Tracey's tram. I climbed in with Daddy and said to him, 'Daddy go sit down back. Oskar drive'. Daddy went and sat down and asked where we where going. I thought about it and said, Oskar go....Oskar go toilet,' and jumped out of the tram to find the toilets.

Sunday morning we went to Hays Paddock and met Amelia, Claire and Phil for a play. It was such fun - I love that playground. It got even better when Claire pulled out a container full of muffins. I managed to eat nearly three...well, I had to keep up my energy for all the running and sliding and swinging!

We've been spending more time downstairs in the courtyard, which has been nice. Mum and Jazzie sit on the grass while I run about with a ball, play in the bushes and tackle Mum on the grass. We took some bubble mix down on Sunday and blew heaps of wonderful bubbles, which I then chased and tried to catch.

I love getting outside more. The other alternative when we're home is playing on the balcony, but that's not quite the same since Mum is really precious about her bonsais. Jasmine has been getting to them a bit, which gets Mum all flustered. Jaz picked up a pot the other day and dropped it; it broke into pieces on the ground. I heard Mum grumbling and asked, 'What do Mummy?' She told me, 'Jazzie broke a pot, but it was an accident'. I said, 'Yes, it was an ancident, Mummy not be angry'. She looked a bit sheepish after that so I obviously got my point acoss!

Thursday, March 11, 2004
I'm pretty happy with my wake-up time of 4.45am. I get a lot done before anyone else gets up: some 'puter games until ABC Kids starts on TV, and occasionally a little play with my toys. I decided to get up early yesterday just for a change. It was 4.20am when I went to get Daddy. He wasn't very impressed but I'm used to that and didn't let it bother me. He looked so tired that I let him go back to sleep in my bed after he got me some brekky and a drink. I even left him alone and didn't go in and out every five minutes like I usually do. I was happy playing games until Mum and Jazzie got up at 7.15.

I was pretty tired by late morning, though. It was my day at Michelle's with Gabriel and Bethany, which I love, but I ended up sleeping for over three hours and then struggling to wake-up properly after that. I have to admit to being pretty grumpy in the afternoon and evening.

This morning was a bit weird. I got up at 4.30ish and went to turn on all the lights but nothing happened. I tried the TV and that didn't work either. I went into Mum and Dad and whispered, 'Mum, the light's not working'. She mumbled something about the lights not coming on until 6am and put me back to bed. So I got up and tried the switches again. A bit later I went in again and told Daddy, 'TB not turn on, it's bwoken'. He put me back to bed too. I was a bit stuck because it was so dark, so I stayed in bed and I think I might have even had a little doze because it was nearly 7 when I got up again. I was very concerned about the TV so I said again to Daddy, 'Daddy, TB not working, it's bwoken. Daddy put batteries back in'. He fiddled about a bit and it worked! Plus the lights came on too, so I was very happy.

Jasmine was funny this morning - we were watching ABC Kids together and she was standing there bouncing as she does, but she was looking at the TV and saying, 'Mum, mum, mum, mum'. I pointed to Mum and told her, 'Jaz, there's Mum, mum, mum, that's Connie Cow!' She just looked at me. Sheesh!

Thursday, March 04, 2004
Mum and Dad have been being sneaky and mean again. The last few nights I've gone to sleep as usual with my night-light on. Then I've woken in the middle of the night to find it absolutely pitch black in my room. No night-light on! It's very dark and quiet and scary in my room in the middle of the night, so of course I screamed blue murder. The first two nights no-one came in despite my cries. So mean. I was too scared to get out of bed, so I eventually fell asleep again and woke up around six am.

Last night was even worse and that's all Mum's fault because, yet again, we ran out of nappies. I had to go to bed with the slightly padded undies that I wore when I first stopped using nappies during the day. I didn't mind at the time, but when I woke up at 2am I really did mind. It was all dark and scary again, but this time I managed to get out of bed before freezing in terror and screaming out for Mummy. Thankfully she did come in and I sobbed out, 'Oskar's got wet pants'.

I was totally awake by the time we'd rummaged around and found a change of clothes, but Mum insisted that I go back to sleep. She left my night-light on for me, so I happily went back to sleep until 5am. I wasn't going to sleep in three nights in a row.


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License