Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Thursday, July 31, 2003
I've been playing this new game with Mum and Dad at sleeptime. They put me to bed, and I wait until they've closed the door, then I bound out and see how far they've got down the hall before I reach them. A few nights ago I was reaching them before they'd even got to the kitchen. Then they'd take me back to bed, tuck me in and we'd do it all again. I think it's great fun. I did it for such a long time the night we started - about one hour ten minutes. I also played it when I woke in the morning at 4.30am. I ran out of puff a bit the second night - I was so tired - so I didn't last as long. But I feel good tonight, so I think I'll wind it up again. The only weird bit is that Mum and Dad don't think it's funny. They actually don't react at all. That annoys me after a while so I start kicking when they put me back to bed, but they just dodge my kicks and still don't say anything. I'm sure I'll get a reaction sooner or later if I just keep at it.

The only problem with this game is that I get really tired during the day. Just as well I've learnt to use the computer myself, because I can start up the games and sit here quietly by myself. Otherwise I want to watch TV. Then I can settle in the lounge chair and zone out. If I could just stop Mum from pestering me to play some games with her, then it would be great.

Saturday, July 26, 2003
Well, I've discovered how to make Daddy angrier than I've ever seen him before: by drawing on the keyboard, monitor, wall and chair with a purple texta. Ooh boy, he was so mad. I looked at him and suddenly felt very bad; I was glad to be sent to my room away from him. Unfortunately Mummy didn't let me stay there long, and I had to go back to Daddy and apologise. I did say sorry without too much persuasion because I didn't want Daddy to be angry with me all day. I think he forgave me.

I've made a bit of a jump with my computer skills. I can now move the mouse around by myself and click where I want to click. This is very good. Previously I had to nag and nag to get Mummy to 'play a bit a games on the 'puter'. Yesterday she was doing something else and wouldn't play with me so I sat down and worked it out myself. I moved the arrow to the bookmarks icon and opened the Sesame Street website in a new tab. Then I picked which games I wanted to play, and if I didn't like the game, then I just moved on to the next one. I really was very happy with myself, and Mum and Dad were very impressed too. Once I got sick of Sesame Street, I moved on to the Teletubbies. I sat there playing by myself for about twenty minutes. I think Mum helped me once. I'm so clever.

I did some cooking with Daddy yesterday. We were both getting a bit bored, so we put on our aprons and got into the kitchen. I sat on the bench and Daddy told me how much flour and sugar and other things we needed, and helped me get it and pour it into the food processor. Then I turned it on and held the top while it all churned away. I got to lick the spatula and stick my finger into the mixture before it went into the oven. Yum yum. I had a bit warm when it was cooked, but I think I liked the raw mixture better.

Wednesday, July 23, 2003
Daddy finally twigged last night. All those times when I've said, 'Okkar sleep in Mummy's bed?' I really did mean it. It's just that I didn't want Mummy in there with me. Last night, after getting out of my bed about four times straight after bedtime, Daddy let me get in Mummy's bed, and I happily fell asleep there. That is until I realised that Mummy had climbed in there with me. I got straight up and went back to my bed, but had to evict Daddy who was sound asleep.

I went for a wander up the hall while Mummy fixed up my bed, but I don't think I was very awake because I walked straight into the door frame. I wacked it with my forehead and got such a shock I cried. Eventually I got into bed after big cuddles from Mum. I think I slept in my bed for a little while, but got up to find Mummy for another cuddle. If I walk up to her quietly and say, 'Big hug,' she usually gives in. See, I still want cuddles at night time from Mummy, I just don't want her stealing them from me when I'm asleep.

Since I've been watching Monsters Inc. I've been waking in the night and wondering if Randall might come out of my cupboard to scare me. Mum told me that the monsters are only on the TV and don't really come out of cupboards, and anyway, they now make kids laugh instead of scare them, but I still can't help worrying. We talked about it at about midnight while I snuggled up to her, and I felt okay when I was in Mum and Dad's room, but after I'd been back in my bed for about a minute I got up again. Daddy eventually put me in my portacot, which was pressed up against the cupboard doors, so I stayed there until morning.

I love getting up for brekky with Daddy. This morning we made pancakes and only woke Mummy up once they were ready. That way she's guaranteed to be in a good mood, no matter how many times I wake her through the night.

My cold has got worse again. I had a temperature over the weekend, and slept a lot, but today the drippiness has set in. So unfortunately I had to stay home and didn't go to daycare with Gabriel and Bethany in case I made them sick too. Mum even took me to the doctor. Dr. Mark looked in my mouth and in my ears and pushed around my tummy, and even felt under my arms and under my nappy elastic. All my glands are up and I have a mouth ulcer - all consistent with having a virus, except I've been like this for about six weeks now. At least I get to loll around the house watching TV. Except Mum wouldn't let me watch Monsters today. I settled for Pigling Bland and Sesame Street.

Monday, July 21, 2003
Since I've been feeling sick, I've been asking a lot: 'Watch a bit a TB?' I want to watch Monsters Inc. mostly, otherwise I ask to 'play games on 'puter...please?'

I had a little burst of energy this morning where I jumped around on Mum's bed. Then I jumped under the covers and said, 'Mummy sleep, Okkar?' and then, 'Clothes on!' since she'd just got out of the shower. After that I went and looked at Jasmine since she was moving around a bit. I asked Mummy, 'Jasmine need waking up? pat? kiss eyes?' Mum lifted me up so I could lean over and give Jasmine a kiss on the forehead. Then we let her get back to sleep again, although I had to tell Mummy, 'Ooh, Jasmine...spit dummy out!'

Daddy tried to persuade me to have a shower with him this morning, but I refused with, 'No! No shower. Okkar shower later.' He didn't make me, thankfully.

Oh, and - Happy Birthday Daddy!! - You are the best Daddy in the world. I love it when we go to the butcher together, and I love it when we go to the park and you push me really, really high on the swing so that Mummy closes her eyes and can't watch, and I love it that you make me frothy coffees in the morning, and I love it that you work from home so I can be around you all the time. Happy Birthday Daddy : )

Sunday, July 20, 2003
I don't feel very well. I'm all hot and clammy and very sleepy. I've still been getting up at night, but last night I just couldn't manage it. I stayed at Nan and Grandad's and slept from about 6.30pm until nearly 8am. That's a record for me. But I was exhausted from the day before when I got up at 4.30am. I was so tired by 9am that I got back into bed and fell asleep, only to be woken at 9.30 to go to Mini Maestros. It was the first time I've been there and I think I'm going to love it, although I was still half-asleep. There was lots of singing and dancing around and banging, so it was lots of fun.

That's all I can manage - I'll write more when I feel better.

Wednesday, July 16, 2003
I went to Michelle's for the day today, so I didn't have to deal with Mum's or Dad's bad moods. Mind you I only got up three or four times last night, so they shouldn't have been too grumpy. This is only the third time I've been to day care, but I love going. I can't wait to play with Bethany and Gabriel for the day. This morning we went to the bakery on the way there and I bought a scone to take with me. I asked Mum, 'Mummy break off some, Okkar? Okkar eat in car?' I munched on a small bit of scone on the way and when we got there, I asked, 'Bethany want some? Gabriel want some?' Bethany didn't and Gabriel wasn't even there yet, but I wanted to share it with them.

The last time we went to the bakery and post office, I couldn't remember the name of the park I wanted to go to afterwards. I asked, 'Okkar go o'er the hills and faraway park?' Luckily she knew what I meant and we ran up and down the hills in Canterbury Gardens. And there weren't any ducks there either.

I've still been going, 'RAR', like the monsters, to anyone and everyone . Mum and Dad look suitably scared when I do it, but this morning I did it to Jasmine and she gave me the biggest smile I've seen. She nearly even laughed. I couldn't help it; I was really happy to see her smile at me, and I got a bit overcome. I even stroked her head like Mummy does. But I soon got over it and started pushing her around the kitchen floor while she was in the bouncer. Must maintain my big-brotherly meanness.

We had a bath together a couple of days ago. Daddy asked if I wanted to have a bath with Jasmine: I said 'No. No Jasmine a bath. Okkar bath with Okkar.' I thought that was pretty clear but I was overuled. At least I managed to splash her a bit and get bubbles on her face.

Tuesday, July 15, 2003
Ooh. Looks like a day to avoid Mummy. What a GRUMP. And she blames her bad mood on me too. Well, I did go back to sleep after waking at 2am, so she must be happy about that. But she did get pretty snipey with me at 5am...and at 5.20, 5.30, 5.40 and so on. I kept getting up and turning my lamp or the big light on so I could play. I was going to be quiet, but she wasn't happy with that. After a few visits I said, 'Mummy hop in bed?' and surprisingly she did; normally she refuses. So I had great fun while she was there. I sang Diamonds Are Forever and danced my legs up and down and rolled on to my tummy and chatted away. But she was such a spoilsport - she kept trying to cuddle me and tell me to go to sleep. It stopped being fun after she grumped at me for about the fifth time, so I said, 'Mummy hop out,' and then, 'Mummy go away,' so she did. But I was wide awake so I got up again a few minutes later.

Eventually it started to get light so finally Daddy got up with me. I was starving by then, since I'd been awake for two hours, and wanted my porridge. Mum stayed in bed for a little bit longer, but got up because she was hungry too. Boy did she give me some grouchy looks, though.

Then I drew on a dining chair. I think I might need rescuing today.

Monday, July 14, 2003
I've still been waking up at night. Usually I get up about four times before breakfast time, although Mum and Dad are pouncing on me a lot quicker than they used to so I don't get much playing in before they shunt me back to bed. They've now put a little night light in my room, so it's not pitch black anymore. I used to like it really dark, but now I prefer a bit of light. I was waking up and saying, 'leave the lamp on... ahoo hoo hoo,' and throwing in a bit of sooking for emphasis. Sometimes they did, but then I often didn't go back to sleep at all and they'd hear me playing and storm in again, so out went the light.

When Mum or Dad is tucking me in again I'll say, 'Okkar wake up at breakfast...Okkar eat porduge...yeah? with currants and ransins, yeah?' They just mumble, 'Go back to sleep.' A few days ago when I got up in the morning I said to Mummy, 'Okkar wake up, Mummy said, "go back to bed Okkar."'

I do get pretty tired during the day though. If I've only got up once or so during the night, then I don't have my nap until about 11.30, but if I've been up 4 or 5 times, then I want to go back to bed by 10 or 10.30. That was a problem last Wednesday at day care. I was so tired I had to go to bed, but when I got up my friends were all asleep and didn't wake up until two hours after me. I got so bored by myself.

When I'm tired, all I want to do is watch TV. I'll ask Mum and Dad, 'Okkar watch a bit a TB? Yeah? Okay.' But they haven't let me watch as much lately. I'm only allowed to in the late afternoon now, and then I'm forced to watch the Tour De France at 6pm each night. I like watching the bikes, but five minutes of them would do me.

Thursday, July 10, 2003
Mum and Dad haven't let me watch Goldfinger for ages now. They say they've banned it because I've been hitting and pushing too much - I was only copying James Bond so I can't see the problem. Anyway, my new favourite is Monsters, Inc. I run around pretending to be a monster and hold my arms up and yell, 'ROAR!' Daddy printed me out a face mask from the Monsters website so whenever I put it over my face and yell, 'ROAR,' Mum and Dad back away looking really scared. I love that, although Jasmine just looked at me as if I was an idiot when I did it to her. I'll have to work out a better way to frighten her.

The latest ridiculous thing Mum and Dad are insisting I do is to put away my books after I've pulled them all out of the bookshelf. I tossed them on the ground; why would I want to pick them up again? I have a lot of books. Lots and lots of books. Having them on a heap on the ground doesn't bother me, but it bothers them a lot. So they make it my problem and sit on the floor until I've put them away. Mum even grabs me by the arm to stop me from escaping and won't let me go until I put them away. I eventually do put them away, but it's a slow process and I often discover books that I haven't read for a while and want to read them. But I still have to put the books all away before I can do anything else. Mean I say.

Tuesday, July 08, 2003
Mum and Dad have been doing well; they haven't felt the need to send me to The Wall for many days. But just as I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, I was sent to The Wall a couple of times today. Well, I was bored and I was just amusing myself, that's all. But Mum and Dad didn't think my throwing a video at Mum while she was feeding Jasmine was very funny, so off I went. 'Sorry for throwing, bump Jasmine, Mummy,' I instantly rabbited off to Daddy. He wasn't happy with that so he took me off to where Mum and Jasmine were and made me apologise to them. 'Sorry Mummy, Jasmine...' I began, then paused trying to remember what I was meant to say next. Daddy prompted me with, 'for...' so I completed the sentence with, 'five, six, seven...' Turns out that that's not what I was meant to say but they were laughing so much it didn't matter anymore. I got out of that one okay!

I was bored again yesterday afternoon, so I ran around in a flurry slamming all the doors that I saw. I ran into Mum's room and she was just putting Jasmine to bed. She told me to be quiet because Jasmine was going off to sleep. I eyed her while I tossed up my options, then I decided to slam the door anyway. I slammed the door with a clever flick behind my back using my left hand, but forgot that I had left my right hand inside the door frame. Owww! Mum just smirked at me so I had to find Daddy to get him to kiss it better (which he did).

I now have a new mattress on my bed. It's very comfy too, although a bit too comfy maybe because Daddy likes to lie next to me and tries to cuddle me. I tolerate it for a little while, about five seconds or so, then I tell him, 'go away Daddy,' and give him a shove. He pokes his bottom lip out but does get out of my bed. Hee hee, it's the one place where I can order them about knowing that they will do what I say. I like that.

Sunday, July 06, 2003
A lot of the time it's pointless asking Mum or Dad for something because the answer is no, so I've started answering for them: 'Mummy cook Okkar sandwich, yeah?...okay" and 'Mummy find teletubbies please Mummy...okay' and 'Okkar special treat...yeah?' Or I just make a statement: 'Okkar watch a bit of TV.'

I've been doing lots of dancing over the last month, but especially over the last week. Granny has a new Riverdance DVD that I've watched a couple of times, so I've been brushing up on my technique. I'll prance about the room saying, 'Like Michael' [Michael Flattley], even though the new DVD has Colin instead - I like Michael better. I say, 'Mummy dance...Goey dance,' and get anyone around to join in. I've also been bowing like they do. I sweep my arms to one side and bow down as low as I can go. Another movement I've been practicing is the forward roll. I learnt that at Bethany's house last week. It's best to do it on the carpet though.

I've just spent the weekend with Aunty Dodo. I was so energetic - we had the biggest beach walk where I fed the seagulls and met a dog called Oscar. But I got sand everywhere. I mean, really everywhere. Mum and Dad made all sorts of noises when they took my nappy off, and I was ushered straight in to the shower. I was a bit more comfortable afterwards I must admit. I love having a weekend away, but I'm always really happy to come home.

Friday, July 04, 2003
What a great few days I've had. Great because I've been out doing things and haven't been lolling around the house getting bored (and getting into trouble). I spent Wednesday at Michelle and Bethany's house, and Gabriel was there too. I'll be going there every Wednesday from now on, and I'm very happy about that. We had such fun together; I really like those two friends. Mum picked me up at 4.30 as did Gabe's Mum, but neither of us wanted to leave. We ran in circles in the front yard until Mum wrestled me into the car. I waved to Gabriel from the back seat and said, "bye-bye Gabe." He was crying; he must have really liked the day too.

I had some time with Nan yesterday arvo. She had made apple and date muffins, which were delicious. Dad asked what I'd eaten when I got home. I said, "teddy-bear biskits...cordial." I didn't eat much dinner.

I've still been waking up through the night. I usually wake somewhere between 4 and 5am. I turn on my lamp and read some books, or turn on the CD player. Eventually Mum or Dad staggers in and sticks me back in bed. Once they've tucked me in again I then say, "nappy change". So I get to stay up a little bit longer while they change my nappy. I try to engage them in conversation but it's a pointless exercise as they're both zombies at that hour. Once I'm back in bed and my parents have gone back to bed, I'll stay quiet for a little while but I usually get up again. If I really want to frustrate them I'll lie on my back with my feet up the wall and kick the wall with both feet. I struggle to get back to sleep after waking though. It's really cold at that hour and all the warmth is gone from my bed by the time I get back into it. Sometimes I doze off, but often I'm awake from 5.30am onwards. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get Mum up in the morning...well if I can do it, so can she.

Dodo came over for brekky on Thursday morning and Daddy made his Fighty Foo Buns. What a great start to the day - Dodo to play with, warm buns to eat and a nice, frothy coffee. I think it should be a weekly event.

Tuesday, July 01, 2003
I sat down in front of the sport news tonight and called out, "Okkar's watching Bucks...Okkar's watching Rupe...Okkar's watching tennis." Turned out to be Mark Phillippousis so I obviously need to spend more time with Uncle Ad to get my sportsmen right.

It's so hard to get Mum out of bed in the morning. She gets up quickly enough when I get up in the night, but not in the morning. A couple of mornings ago I rummaged through the cupboard for something to entice her out with, and came up with a box of Lindor balls. I took them in to her, but she mumbled, "thanks Oskar..." and stayed there, so I put them on the bedside table and went back to the kitchen. I came back with a salada biscuit, but that didn't work either. Eventually Daddy got up with me.

This morning Daddy got up and we made pancakes together. When they were just about ready I went in to wake up Mum and gave her a kiss. She was very happy about that so I gave her a hug as well. Then she used my ploy and said, "One more," so I gave her another hug. She said, "one more" again so I laughed and gave her another hug. Then she said, "Last time" and I gave her another hug then ran away.


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License