Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Sunday, September 29, 2002
I've just had a most excellent weekend. I had a sleep-over at Aunty Dodo's house for the very first time. Mummy took me there half way through the Grand Final which was a bit of a bummer since I missed out on watching part of it, but luckily Dodo had it on TV as well so I could keep an eye on the state of play. In between carting pocketfuls of stones in and out of the room, I yelled out "Bucks" like Uncle Adam taught me, and each time I saw Rupert Betheras I yelled out "Root, Root, Root".

I did another painting which was great fun. I smeared paint all over a big bit of paper, and also over the walls and the floor, plus some on my trousers for good measure. Then Dodo helped me turn it into a birthday card for Mummy. I spent lots of time out in the backyard poking around exploring. As usual I found the pegs and spread them around. I thought they looked particularly good dotted throughout the thyme. I also found a huge tree with nandies all over it, and Dodo let me eat quite a few. We visited some dogs who live next door and I said "heyo doggies". It was cold and windy and when the rain got a bit heavy Dodo made me go inside which I grumbled about a bit. I'd already seen that Mummy packed me about 12 changes of clothing so I didn't care if I got wet.

Dinner was interesting. Dodo presented me with some tuna with tamari, which I poked at but didn't really like. I did like the sweet potato; I called it "dodopopoto", and it was very yummy. I also had brown rice with herby flavours through it which was very different to what I usually have, but nice anyway. I was pooped after dinner so we had some stories and cuddles with Bertram ("bubom"), and I slept through the night without stirring.

In the morning we had brekkie, then Dodo pulled out her yoga mat. I jumped on it and started dancing like it was my own little stage. Dodo pushed me off and started doing her funny yoga poses. I joined in for a few and did some very fine triangle poses plus forward bends and even a shoulder stand. But I could only do that for so long so I spent the rest of the time on the phone trying to ring people to tell them how funny Dodo looked. I couldn't seem to get through to anyone although I did leave a very long memo on the answering machine. After some vegemite toast ("memite") and a bit of weeding in the garden, I had a shower and went back to bed for my morning snooze.

When I woke up, Dodo read me a new book. It was about "The Very Good Dinosaur" who is a ferociousaurus and who makes a big mess at dinner time, so I could identify with him very well. Soon after, Gaggy and Rosh arrived, and then Mummy, Daddy and Uncle Ad. They put lots of food on the coffee table which is just my height and we all had lunch. I helped everyone load up their plates and made sure they had enough rocket and hummous. When everyone was satisfied, I set about helping myself to bagels with hummous, olives, cheese, more bagels, and some more olives. Then the birthday cake came out. I was given a small piece, but mostly I spread more ganache around my clothes than I ate.

I played my favourite game with everyone. I grab someone's nose and they have to go "honk". I grabbed Uncle Adam and Daddy's noses at the same time, but they both erupted into footy team songs, so I went over to Gaggy and Rosh. They were much more fun and came up with some great variations on the honking theme. That had me giggling for quite a while.

I was very tired after M & D brought me home. After a look at the clouds and a peek over the balcony to see if May was there, I went to bed early.

Tuesday, September 24, 2002
I'm not sure what I did wrong a few days ago, but Daddy decided to punish me with the most awful lunch I've ever had. He presented me with a toasted cheese sandwich - just cheese, nothing else, and one of the pieces of bread was a crust. Then it was over-toasted so it was rock hard and dark brown. It looked as bad as it tasted. I needed to drink lots of milk to try to wash it down. Then this morning he went and gave me some of Mummy's muesli instead of my usual mix. I did try. I ate a bit, but really, it felt like trying to eat pebbles. And I'd rather post pebbles than eat them.

It was Mummy's birthday yesterday and we started the day by going out for brekkie at Caffe Latte. I sat at the table munching on fruit and anything else I could scam from M & D, and watching a tall man make coffee. I like it there so I made lots of noise and chatted to anyone I could get to look at me. After a play in the park and a good nap, Uncle adam came over to play with me while M & D went out for lunch at the Flower Drum. Then later in the afternoon, I went to see Bethany. She was in a good mood this time. I was barely in the door when she shrieked "OKKAR!" and ran over to me and stuck her arms around me. I started walking over to her toy room and she kept hanging on to me with her arms around my neck. I'm not used to her being like that so I got a bit antsy and tried to peel her arms off me. A bit later we were playing in the bean bag and she kept jumping on me and giggling. I've no idea what's got into her.

Over the last week I've been to see Granny and Ros a few times. They have both been really sick and Granny has pneumonia. So I insisted on helping Mummy do their shopping and going to see them to cheer them up. And I love the back yard, and the cats, Dixie and Pumpkin. I romp around looking for stones and picking up handfuls of dirt and sprinkling it over the plants. The cats keep watch and play hide and seek with me.

I nearly forgot about my big adventure over the weekend. I went to the Royal Melbourne Show with Mummy and Dodo. I think the best part was getting there and back again on the train. I have never seen so many people in the one place. It was complete chaos with noise and colour everywhere. We decided to look for the animals first, but it took us ages to even find them. Eventually we found the horses stable and I ran up and down the aisles occasionally stopping to look at the horses. It was nice to stretch my legs. Mummy wanted to take me to the animal nursery so I could pat some animals, but when we got in there, it was crowded and hot and there was a really long queue to get to the animals. I decided I'd rather eat a banana out in the cool and started grumbling. Mummy tried to pacify me with a yoghurt freebie someone gave us, and I had to admit it was very yummy, but I still wanted out. Finally we left after having a quick look at some really ugly turkeys on the way out. A bit later I had some more munchies while watching some burly blokes tossing sacks over a bar with pitchforks. What a weird sport. We took in some art in the form of decorated cakes and embroideries and paintings, then it was time to leave. I had a great train trip home because I sat opposite a man who kept imitating me and making me laugh. Once we got home, I discovered that Bethany was over for a play, so all up it was a pretty good day.

Tuesday, September 17, 2002
I have to write down what Mummy made me for dinner tonight because it was SO yummy. And frankly, that is a rare occurence these days. I had polenta with vegies, tuna, cheese and olives. As usual, I was suspicious at first, but then I spied the olives. I picked them all out with my fingers and in doing so, decided that the goop around was actually very yummy. So I ate it all, including the broccoli, cabbage, carrots and zucchini. The vegies tasted so yummy! I don't know why she doesn't cook them like that more often; then I'd eat more vegies.

I had the best game with our neighbour, May, a couple of days ago. I was on our balcony pottering about picking flowers, grabbing handfuls of dirt, and trying to pinch the stones on Mummy's bonsai's. Then I heard May underneath us on her balcony and Mummy held me up to the edge so I could see over. Scotty the dog was there too and I pointed to him and said "Scotty". I was kneeling right next to some purple pansies and thought May might like some, so I picked off some flowers and threw them down to her. She laughed and tried to catch them, so I kept throwing more down. It was great fun; she shrieked and ran around and I giggled at her and dropped more. Eventually Mummy started grumbling about all the flowers I was picking and May was saying "no more!", but I didn't want to stop. Mummy dragged me away and locked me inside and I cried and grumbled for ages. Then I walked around saying "May, May, May..." at least fifty times before bedtime.

We went to visit our friends, Niall and Sonja, on Sunday afternoon. They have moved to a new house and I just loved it. Part of the backyard was covered with pebbles. It was heaven. The entire back wall of the house was all glass which meant I could play outside and keep an eye on the adults inside. So I set about redistributing the stones about the rest of the garden and trying to avoid their crazy dog, Maxine. The dog yapped and danced about in circles around me, but that was okay, I just did my thing. Every so often I went up to the back door and checked that the adults were okay, then I went back to the stones.

By the time we left, it was well past my dinner time, so we stopped off to get some Indian for dinner. I thought we would get take-away but instead we all went in and sat at a table. I loved it; we had lamb rogan josh and chicken makhani with rice and naan. The nice waiter brought me my own little bowl and spoon, and I munched away with Mummy and Daddy. I even got to try some of Daddy's Indian beer. Very nice it was too. M & D took rather longer than me to eat, so to keep myself entertained I spread rice about the floor in pretty patterns. We left pretty soon after that.

I've been saying some new words. I've said "May" many times a day since I played with her. I can say "Gabgibal" for Gabriel, which really is a hard name to say (I saw him last week for the first time in 6 weeks since he's been away with his Mummy in Zimbabwe). When we had the cold weather I pointed outside and said "raining" and "wind" and "tree". Each time we go down the stairwell, I point to the fire hose and say "hose". I play with my "lelo" and build towers with it. Before bed each night, I go outside and look at the stars and moon and point to them saying their names. I also say "lake" and "Gadad" when I see a picture of a swan in my book. The swan reminds me of going to Albert Park lake with Nan and Gadad, who I miss at the moment since they're holidaying in Europe. I also say "swimming" a lot because I'm loving it at the moment. Liza the teacher told me how well I was doing at the last lesson and I was very proud.

Friday, September 13, 2002
They've taken my dummy away. I can now only have it when I'm in bed. I'm so upset and horrified about it. I *really* like my dummy. It's so soothing and comforting and familiar. And I can't see what's so bad about that. My gums are really bothering me; I've had one tooth take a painstakingly long time to poke through and another just about to do the same. My dummy is really nice to suck on when I'm sore because otherwise I'm always putting my fingers in my mouth to help ease the sore spots. That doesn't help much though, it just makes me dribble. So I've cried a lot today and have been very happy to get into bed for my naps.

Yesterday wasn't such a good day because I was in the wars a bit. We had playgroup at Olivers house and we all ran around like crazy animals in the backyard. We took it in turns to run at Michelle who then picked us up and whizzed us around in the air. Margo had made a yummy cake that we all liked and I frequently visited the dining table to convince any of the mothers that I was really, really hungry. One time though, after I'd had a drink and a bickie, I misjudged my drop off the chair and fell off instead. I landed with a great thud, head first on the floor. I got such a shock and bawled for quite a while. It wasn't that long after that I closed my finger in the back door. That really hurt. I jumped up and down and shook my hand and cried and screamed. Mummy tried to wrap a very cold cloth around my finger, but that hurt too much. Once I settled down a bit I went to the front door and told Mummy that I wanted to go home. She picked me up and I gave Michelle a kiss goodbye, but not Bethany, and we went home. I gratefully went straight to bed.

Monday, September 09, 2002
I had a seriously good weekend. Saturday lunchtime, M & D dropped me off at Granny and Ros' house for a sleepover. I had been really looking forward to this and kept saying "Gaggie" and "Roje" all morning to find out when I'd be going. I spent most of my time out in the backyard, which is so exciting. There is so much to explore there, and that is what I did. I played a lot with Dixie and Pumpkin, the two cats who also live there. Dixie is black and very friendly; I call for her if I can't see her, so I yell out, "Di'di". She's often hiding in the plants and watching me anyway. Pumpkin is a bit more shy and I call her, "Pumpin" or "Pumpy" like Ros does. I like to pick up handfuls of dirt, and let it fall from my hand onto the plants. My favourite of course is stashing stones down any hole I can find. The best one was on the path out the front of the house. One of the bits of concrete had two holes in it, and I collected stones from nextdoor's driveway and dropped them down these holes. Dixie kept trying to catch the stones before they disappeared down the holes which was great fun. I slept very well, except for being woken by some very noisy possums in the middle of the night.

When I got home late Sunday afternoon, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I was absolutely exhausted. I managed to stay awake by reading some books on the couch with Mummy and my blankie, but I really needed to get to bed. But then when I was in my bath, Bethany arrived. She came walking into the bathroom and as soon as I saw her, I flipped onto my tummy to cover my boy bits. I lay there on my tummy grinning at Michelle and trying to hide my embarrassment. Bethany set about playing with some of my bath toys and dipping her hands in the water, so it looked like she wasn't going to leave in a hurry. I forgot about being shy and sat up again to continue playing. I would have liked to stay up and play with Bethany after my bath, but I was so tired that I let M & D put me to bed. I protested a bit as a matter of course, but I didn't really want to stay up.

Monday morning I was still feeling pretty tired and a bit grumpy. I spent the weekend doing what I wanted so I objected to being told not to do certain things as soon as I got home again. I discovered that Mummy was just as grumpy as me though. I was playing with my new golf clubs and she was trying to get socks on my feet. I couldn't care less if I had socks on my feet or not, I just wanted to swing the golf club around. So I did that, but Mummy's head was in the way. She wrenched the club out of my hands and slammed it on the ground whereupon it broke in two. I bawled and bawled and she huffed and fumed. Daddy made her apologise to me for breaking my toy, then banished her to the local coffee shop to chill out. He could have sent her to her bed; that's where I would have been sent.

Friday, September 06, 2002
It's way too long since I've written, which means I've forgotten half of what I've done over the last week. But there have been a few highlights worthy of mention. I've been to swimming twice this week. On Monday, my usual day, Daddy came in the water with me while Mummy took photos. Daddy had me laughing from the moment we got in the pool and I had such fun for the whole lesson. I'm getting very good at running across the mat and jumping in the water at the end. I did quite a lot of kicking, especially when Liza, the teacher, told me to. I love the floaties now, and Daddy spun me round and round in circles until I flipped over and ended up with my face under water. I didn't mind. We even deliberately plunged under water and kicked to the wall. That was new - I came up from under the water madly blinking and wiping my eyes, but it wasn't too bad. Then I went back again on Wednesday to make up for a class I missed a month ago, so I've done my exercise for the week.

It was Fathers' Day on Sunday and I gave Daddy the painting that I did for him with Aunty Dodo's help. I also did a card with the outlines of my hands on it, and Mummy and I went out to get him croissants and ham and cheese and fresh bread for brekkie. Then in the afternoon, we went to Nan and Grandad's place and saw all of the Hosken family including Great Grandad and Grandma. After eating date scones, which Nan made especially for me, I ran around and entertained everyone. It was a good day.

I've still been waking up about once a night. Usually it's because I've lost my dummy and can't find it amongst my blankets and toys. After a brief feel around I call out for some help. I start off with "Daddies, daddies, daddies...." (OT's word for dummy). If I haven't found it after about 20 yells, then I start on "Mummy, Mummy, Mummy.....daddies, Mummy, daddies...." and eventually she gets up and finds it for me. Then I say "huppies...(blankie), and Mummy tucks my blankie over me, and then I say "bye-bye" (thanks, now go away).

Just a few days ago though, Mummy tied my dummy on to my sleeping bag. This bothered me at first, but once I woke up at 5am, I discovered the benefit of this. I have been able to find it myself without needing M & D to help me. But I did manage to wrap it around my neck and nearly strangle myself one time.

Another way to make Mummy smile: point to a star on my wall and say, "star", then point to another star and say, "Mummy's star".


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License