Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Thursday, July 25, 2002
Forgive me. I'm cranky. I have a cold. My nose is all drippy and getting sore from having it wiped. I'm tired.

For those who were confused about my previous post, a DOG says "ru ru ru ru" as in "ruff ruff ruff" without the "f" because I can't pronounce it yet! If I wanted to say "roo roo roo", I would have spelt it "roo roo roo" and I've no idea what animal says that.

Monday, July 22, 2002
I'm just a bit confused. I saw a horse on TV and I yelled out MOOOO, but M & D laughed. Then I thought maybe it wasn't a horse and I said "ru ru ru ru" but they still laughed. I thought about it a bit more then came back with "baaaaaaa". They laughed even more. I'll have to go back to my books.

Today I went to see nice Dr. Andrew. He took me into a little room and opened the fridge, then handed me a little box. I was very pleased with this and took it back to show Mummy. I love boxes. But then he opened it, pulled out a needle and shoved it into my arm. At least I remembered the last time he gave me an injection and remembered not to kick him while he was doing it. I wailed a bit but it really didn't hurt for very long and I got over it pretty quickly. Mummy and I then went off to swimming and I had a really great time. I climbed out of the pool nearly all by myself to get a bunch of grapes. Mummy and Liza, the teacher, were pleased with that effort. I also ran across the foam mat twice! That was great fun and I can't remember why I was scared of it last term. Mummy held one hand and Liza held the other and I ran to the end and jumped in. The second time I almost beat Mummy to the end and my face went under the water, but I didn't mind. I even tried to kick a bit, but I didn't want to blow bubbles. I had such a good sleep afterwards.

Earlier in the week I got to see Grampa which was great. He brought his organ over and we had a good jamming session. I tried to work out what all of the buttons did and came up with some pretty funky beats. It didn't take me long to find where the volume knob was, and I used that to it's fullest effect. Grampa played some really nice music after I'd had a play, and when he finished each piece I yelled "Yay!". A few days later he came back again and brought his friend Sandy Reith with him. I remembered Sandy from when I met him down at Phillip Island and was pleased to see him again. He did all sorts of silly things and made me laugh. I was hoping that Grampa or Sandy would share their lunch with me. They had neat, white sandwiches and I had a toastie with horrible green bits in it and tomato, which I won't eat. I made a real point of showing them how awful my lunch was and even handed them bits of the green stuff after I'd pulled the sandwich completely apart. Unfortunately Mummy was hovering nearby and wouldn't let them give me anything. Just as well Sandy slipped me the sweet bikkie while she wasn't looking or I would have gone hungry.

Yesterday was Daddy's birthday. Nan helped me make him a card with outlines of my feet on the inside and "Happy Birthday Daddy" typed on the outside, plus some other secret spy code that I'm sure he can break. We went to an Indian Restaurant for lunch and were there from 12.30 until after 3pm. I think I ate for most of that time, when I wasn't outside posting stones down some pipes. I had a cheese and vegemite sandwich followed by pappadams, sultanas, oat bar, banana, naan, mandarine, lamb kofta, tandoori chicken and rice milk. I was no longer a very hungry caterpillar after all that. I forgot my advice to myself from about a month ago though. About an hour after we got home I was feeling very sick and vomited. Up came all the food and I then remembered that I have to try to chew my food better. Whole segments of mandarine coming up feels much worse than it does going down. Poor Mummy was cuddling me when I was sick and stopped most of it reaching the floor with her lap. I did feel a bit bad about that and gave her lots of cuddles after we'd both been through the shower. I was so exhausted that I went to bed at 5.15pm and didn't get up until 7.15am. I've eaten much less today.

Saturday, July 13, 2002
I forgot to say that I've had another haircut. It wasn't as bad as the previous ones. Firstly, Daddy came along. He made sure I could get my hands out from under the cape which made me much happier. Secondly, I had a different man. Justin just wasn't as scary as Tony. He even got me a couple of toys to play with which was very nice of him. It was all over fairly quickly and he did a very nice job.

I woke up from my afternoon nap a few days ago to find the loungeroom all rearranged. This demanded instant investigation. I set about exploring the new set-up. I discovered that all the powerpoints are now exposed and I can get to them easily. If I climb onto the chairs, I can reach the sofa table and the framed pictures on top. If I climb onto the couch, and then up the cushions, I can reach the top of the bar which is the most exciting thing. Up there is the fruit bowl, a candle, flowers and assorted other stuff, and if I really pull myself up, I can reach over to the top of the kitchen bench. I now know that this is not what M & D had in mind when they changed the furniture about. I got sent to "time-out" about 5 times before dinner. There was much grumbling from them to me and from me to them. Who could blame me for wanting to explore the new possibilities? They both really snapped when I turned off the powerpoint that powered up the computers. I got such a telling off. Once I came out of time-out, I saw that all the powerpoints had cardboard taped over them. I thought I'd better tell them that I understood why I was sent to my room so I went up to the powerpoint, pointed to it and said "no, no, no, no, no!".

I'm getting some more teeth coming through. My mouth is so sore I just want to bite on something. My fingers are okay for a little while but they get sore and really wet. I like my dummy but I'm only allowed that when I go to bed. I even resorted to chewing on a block of wood. This morning I woke at 5.15am because my gums were aching. I just didn't think I could go back to sleep so I hummed and chatted and yelled a bit. Mummy came to change my duds but she put me back in bed. I wasn't too happy with that so I upped the noise level and changed to sooking. Eventually she brought me into bed with her and Daddy. That's really a last resort for me and frankly, I wasn't feeling that bad. I chatted some more and pushed and kicked them and decided I'd leave them to it and climb off the bed. I wasn't allowed to do that either and got put back to my bed where I spent the next hour or so crying about the injustice of it. By the time Mummy eventually got me up I was feeling very miserable and sore, not to mention puffy and drippy. I had brekkie and played around a bit, and by the time 8.15 came around, I was exhausted. I slept for another two hours, then felt a lot better.

Tuesday, July 09, 2002
I've been having some great games with Daddy lately. One I've been doing a bit is where I go up behind him, pull up his top and stick my cold hand against his back. He jumps and shrieks, I giggle, then do it again. Another is where I sneak up to him when he's working and pinch his hanky out of his pocket and make off with it. I then sneak back and try to put it back in. My favourite game at the moment is when I grab Spanky off M & D's bed, take him to Daddy, then run away. Spanky and Daddy then chase me up the hallway as I try to escape from them. Spanky makes all sorts of silly noises as he chases me and they both catch me and throw me on the bed and tickle me.

This afternoon, Daddy and I went on a big adventure. We got the tram to a lovely park in Hawthorn where we had a great play. Then we jumped on another tram and went in to Richmond and found another park. I love the trams. I sit and look out the windows and walk up and down the aisles. I even walked off the tram myself with Daddy holding my hand. Another tram trip later we jumped out at the MCG and walked around it to the other side and I had a good look at the trains. Actually, Daddy walked and I sat on his shoulders. It's a great view from up there. We got the train back out to Kooyong, jumped another tram and made it home again. Mummy was home when we arrived and thankfully she understood my needs without me having to express them too vehemently: banana, mandarine, water, bed.

Sunday, July 07, 2002
I have been such a social butterfly over the last few days, I'm completely pooped now. I've had a ball though. Friday was a great day. I met Uncle Adam and Nan at Victoria Park for Collingwood's training session (I had to drag Mummy along). I ran around the outer and tried to pinch the football off a few kids who were playing near me. I got in a bit of heckling directed at the players who were all much uglier than the Hawthorn boys. We then went off for lunch in a pub where I ate solidly for about an hour. They do particularly good chips at the Retreat Hotel. Then we all wandered off down to the Children's Farm and walked along the Yarra path. It was sunny and windy and the river was flowing really fast. Mummy and Nan decided they needed coffee so we all went off to Brunetti's. I think I was in the car for 5 minutes before I fell asleep on the way home.

I had a little nap and then M & D and I went to Rob, Dusty and Gabriel's house for dinner. I just had the BEST time. Gabriel and I played chasey up and down the hallway, checked out all his toys and jumped on and off the couch. We laughed and giggled and tried to outdo each other to see who could yell the loudest. I was having such a good time that of course I didn't want to go to sleep in the portacot. Dusty had made it up for me and I had to admit it did look very cosy in there. So I lay in it for about 5 seconds before yelling for Mummy to get me out. I then went and asked Gabriel if he wanted to get up too and he said yes from behind his door, so we both played for a bit longer. Eventually he went to bed but I stayed up and lolled about on the couch and on Mummy's lap. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I did have a bit of a sleep in the next morning though. I woke at 7.50 which is very late for me. I must have been tired.

I went to the market Saturday morning with M & D to get our usual staples. I wanted to tell Kalamata Man that I'd been to watch Collingwood train, but I chickened out. I had a big sleep expecting that when I woke, we would be going to see Bethany and her parents. Unfortunately they were sick and had to cancel, so we went to Cindie, Andrew and Harry's instead. I had lots of hyper-play with Harry and thankfully M & D didn't try to put me in the portacot. Whenever we go there for dinner, Cindie usually tries to feed me the weirdest food that I can hardly get in my mouth, let alone chew. Harry has all his teeth so he can eat all sorts of things, but I still have gaps everywhere. I was expecting more food I couldn't eat, so when Cindie gave me some tomato and fennel soup with meatballs on the side I was very wary. I refused to eat it straight away but then saw everyone else eating it and thought I'd give it a go. It was sooo yummy! So I ate it all up, and even tried to eat a bit of meatball. It went very well with turkish bread.

I went straight to sleep when we got home, but woke at 11pm with sore gums and having lost my dummy. I cried for Mum or Daddy but they didn't come for ages. Eventually Mummy came to get me but I was really worked up by then. She nearly dropped me as she stumbled over my new blocks that were spread all over the floor in my room. We couldn't find a dummy so Daddy had to get up as well to find me one. But that didn't help my gum pain. The only good thing for gum pain, apart from painkillers, is cuddles. So I lay between M & D in their bed, on top of Mummy's arm and fell asleep there. I woke up in my own bed feeling a lot better.

I woke from my nap this morning to find Aunty Dodo here. I had some lunch and then Daddy and Dodo took me down to the park for a play. I had a swing competition with Dodo but she won that since she could swing so high she could look over the top of the swing frame. We bounced up and down on the horses and slid down the slide and played chasey. Once I got home, M, D and I went out again to Nan and Grandad's house for arvo tea. It was Great-Grandma Eileen's birthday and Nan made the yummiest food. I walked in the front door, spotted the table with date loaf on it and went to sit down straight away. Apparently that wasn't very polite of me so I had to say hello to everyone and wait another ten minutes before everyone sat at the table. But I'm glad I waited because Nan pulled out scones, hedgehog and apple cake as well as the date loaf. I thought about how best to manage the situation, and decided that I had to sit next to Nan. She's on my side. I started off with some hedgehog before Mummy took it off me and ate it herself. I then had two pieces of the fruit loaf, one for each hand. Then I moved on to the cake and ate a whole piece. I washed it all down with some water and then asked Nan for some more. She was just about to hand me over another bit of cake when Mummy saw and told her not too. I knew what to do and started sooking. That did the trick and Nan ignored Mummy and gave the cake to me anyway. I was very pleased with myself.

Thursday, July 04, 2002
Our trip to Cape Schanck was good fun. First thing I did was set about exploring the house, particularly the loungeroom and kitchen. I found these great high chairs that I could move around and climb onto with a bit of effort. Sitting on one of these chairs I could see across the bench and watch Daddy preparing my food. I could also eat breakfast at the bench. I discovered that the kitchen cupboard doors didn't have locks on them like there are at home, so I could open them whenever I wanted. Or whenever I wanted to stir Mummy. If I was feeling really cheeky then I'd rearrange the plates and cups - that was guarranteed to get a reaction out of her.

There was a big hole in the wall in the lounge with a fire in it. That was novel, and I quickly found out, hot. I watched M & D and soon worked out that what you do is turn your back to the fire and face your hands towards it. I spent a long time opening and closing all the movable parts on the CD player. And I worked out how to turn the radio off when I didn't want to listen to it. I also could create great fuzz on the TV by fiddling with the buttons on the VCR. I was pleased with that effort.

Daddy cooked me a couple of yummy curries for dinner, but one day he tried to feed me this shocker of a lunch. He stuck these fluffy, white buns in the fire, along with some capsicum. Then I was presented with a blackened bun filled with slimey capsicum, cheese and eggplant. I thought - what a dreadful thing to do to a piece of cheese! I had to carefully pick everything off the cheese so as not to affect the taste too much and savour the only edible bit of lunch. M & D were like vultures, hovering over me and scooping up my discarded bits as if they hadn't eaten for a week. Eventually Daddy got me a piece of nice, firm bread with vegemite which was much more satisfactory. None of this fluffy, white stuff for me thank you.

Throughout the few days we were there, I didn't see Daddy without a wine glass. Each time he turned his back I'd sneak a drink from his glass. I'm getting pretty good at holding the glass by the stem and never splosh any. I also drank from their coffee and tea cups when they left them lying around. I love the strong taste of coffee dregs left in the bottom of the cup.

We went for a lovely bushwalk on Monday. The path was completely covered by a canopy of tree tops and it was thick and bushy all around us. The path was good to walk on although there were heaps of tree roots that I kept tripping over. After about the tenth time I got a bit sick of landing on my hands so Daddy pushed me in my jogger while I had a rest. We stopped at a couple of lookouts that had views over the water and coastline. It was all very pretty but so bright with the sun glaring off the water. I walked a lot of the way back along the path and even tried to push my jogger since Daddy was looking a bit tired.

I didn't enjoy the nights though. The first night I didn't really want to go to bed, but I was so exhausted I fell asleep fairly quickly. But the second night I woke at midnight and it was so cold and dark and quiet I got a bit scared. I cried for ages before Mummy came to get me and by that stage there was no way I was going to get back into the portacot. I spent the rest of the night in bed with M & D who just wouldn't get out of my way. I pushed and shoved and head-butted them but they only moaned and groaned and still wouldn't move. I was hoping we could do a straight swap - they could sleep in the portacot and I could have the queen sized bed. Unfortunately they didn't see it that way and we all had to fight for a bit of space on the bed. Boy they were grumpy in the morning though. We all really needed our coffee.

I am happy to be home now. I love my bed.

Wednesday, July 03, 2002
Sheesh! I've only been back from holidays for five minutes and already I've received requests to update my blogger! Okay, okay, but it's a matter of organising Mummy to do it for me and apparently she can't write when I'm hovering around her. It's all about multi-tasking. I can chew and post blocks at the same time, and I can drip water from a bottle and talk at the same time, so why can't she type and play with me at the same time? Later today hopefully.


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License