Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Sunday, April 28, 2002
Daniel Chick is my favourite Hawks player, Iíve decided. I watched a lot of the game yesterday; Hawks versus Richmond and loved it. When we got a goal I yelled, ďYAYĒ and when the crowd booed I yelled, ďBOOĒ, although I didnít know what I was booing. But it was great fun, and the Hawks won. I saw Gabrielís Dad talking to Shane Crawford, which was a bit weird.

Anzac Day was wonderful. I got up early and had porridge for brekkie, and then the door buzzer went. It was Granddad, and he came to take me to Brunettiís, which I wasnít expecting. I love going there with Nan and Granddad. I know to go in the door, turn to the right, then walk to the windows to our seats and I hold the chair legs to reserve them while Nan gets the coffees. They let me sit on the tall seat and I can see under the bench to the street, and watch the people and birds. We didnít go playing since it was cold and wet, so we went back to their house for a while before they took me home.

I had a good nap and then Mummy, Daddy and I went to Studley Park Boathouse for lunch with Granny and Ros. It was so nice there. Lots of trees and birds and the river to look at. I ate my lunch while the adults had theirs and then Daddy took me out in the rain. He and I played hide and seek and ran about. I loved it. Eventually the rain got just a bit too heavy so we went home. I got very wet.

But then my day got even better. I woke from my afternoon nap and then Bethany, Michelle and Stuart came over. After a play, Bethany and I sat down to dinner together. It was pumpkin risotto leftovers, which Iíve refused to eat before, and refused again this time, although Bethany loved hers. Sheís very good with a spoon. Iíve just worked out how to scoop some food into the spoon and get it into my mouth, but itís pretty random as to whether I get much food with each mouthful. She was nailing it every time. Very impressive. We played in my highchair and then we had a bath. I showed her some of my favourite bath toys and thought maybe I could wash her back. But she wouldnít even sit down. I thought that was a bit strange, and I only peed in the bath right at the end, and faced away from her when I did it.

I was so tired after my big day that I went straight to bed and slept till 7am.

Yesterday I was quietly doing some sorting and posting while M & D were doing other things. Next to my play area are Dadís computers and one of them has a big gap in it. It was just the right size for lego. I fitted four bits of lego and a napkin ring in there. I was very pleased with that accomplishment, since the other gap I was trying to post thing in got covered up (the VCR).

Today I'm feeling a bit queasy. I couldn't eat lunch, but didn't care much. Then we went to the park and Daddy and I were both sick within the space of 5 minutes. He made a lot more noise than me, although I splashed it down my front and he didn't. So Mummy drove us home as quickly as possible. No accidents in the car thankfully.

Wednesday, April 24, 2002
I've had a horrible few days. I have a huge ulcer on my tongue and others dotted about my mouth and about 5 teeth pushing their way through. So my whole mouth is burning and aching and it hurts to eat anything. I've had trouble falling asleep even though I'm exhausted, and I can't even suck on my dummy because it hurts. Mummy took me to see Dr. Andrew on Monday and he said I was stressed because of all the teeth coming through. He said my glands were up and that I shouldn't go swimming for a week. That bit suited me okay. I didn't want to face the pool.

So today I'm finally feeling better. The big spot on my tongue is much less sore and I can eat more easily. Which is good because Mummy has made me a couple of new things that are very tasty. Last night I had minced chicken with broccoli, carrot, cauliflower and pasta, seasoned with some tamari. That was very yummy and easy to eat and the first time I've enjoyed chicken. She also made some oat bars. I wasn't sure about them at first, but when I saw Mummy hoeing into one I thought I'd give it a try. They get the thumbs up too. Then this morning I had porridge for brekkie. That was so yummy. Creamy and delicious. Lunch was a weird coloured omelette that I wasn't sure about. I only ate about half of that. I haven't been able to eat my usual toasted sandwiches because they're too hard. I was pulling them apart and eating the filling and the soft, warm bread on the middle and leaving the toasted outside bit. Or chucking them on the floor. So lunches have been very boring, but hopefully I can eat another toastie soon.

This afternoon I took my parents to the park to run around. They took a ball and kicked and hit it to each other while I wandered around supervising them. I just relaxed and munched on an oat bar and grapes while they ran off their energy. It worked very well.

Saturday, April 20, 2002
Playgroup was such fun last Thursday. We all met up at Sandra and Thomas' house and most of my friends, except Bethany, were there. They have a long hallway that is great to run up and down, which we all did a lot. Since the house was so long, all us boys could gather in one of the bedrooms while the parents where at the other end, and they couldn't hear us. We all found some boxes and tried to get the lids off, but Sandra foiled our efforts just before we got into them. Then we all examined Thomas' toys in his bedroom. All our parents followed us there so we gradually snuck off down the hall while they were still there gossipping. Oliver opened the bathroom door and ushered us all in there. And there, parent free, we examined the toilet. Oliver showed us how he can dunk the toilet brush in the water, which was really cool, until he pulled it out and splashed my face with water. Then Gabriel and Thomas leant in and swooshed the water around. At that point our parents burst in and there ensued lots of shrieking and hand-washing. Oliver and Thomas were the wettest, and there was quite a puddle of water on the floor. Oliver's socks were soaked.

Earlier, Oliver showed us how to turn on the dishwasher. I'd already had a try, and made some lights flash on and off, but I hadn't managed to get it to make noises. Oliver had clearly done that before; he knew exactly what to do. Once we were banished from the dishwasher we turned to the oven. I started turning the two knobs like I do to the oven at home. But I turned one and it fell off. That unfortunately drew the attention of Mummy, who seriously grumbled at me. I stood there trying to work out how to get the oven to make noises when I realised that I had in fact turned it on. Then I got removed from the scene.

But all of our explorations had the usual effect on our parents. When we get into things they don't want us to touch, and if they want to talk to each other, they give us food. So we all sat down to apple muffins and carrot cake. So a very successful and fun afternoon.

I've worked out the computer. If I quietly sneak up to it while M or D are working at it, and press the big button, the screen goes black and it all goes quiet. Well, the computer goes quiet, my parents don't. I usually get pulled away and stuck in the corner while they do a bit of ranting. But I can deal with that. This morning I wanted Mummy to write my journal for me so I pressed the same button again and everything whirred into action. I was pretty pleased with that. So now I know how to turn it on and off and how to get the tray to slide in and out. Very smart.

Thursday, April 18, 2002
When I wake in the mornings, I usually play around a bit in my cot. Mummy moved it to a different position, so now if I stand at the end, I can reach the blinds that cover the window. Yesterday I managed to lift up the blinds a bit by pulling on a string. I was pretty pleased with that. There's also another stick that hangs down and when I pull it out and let it go, it makes a great loud noise. That's when M & D usually come to get me. This morning I woke late (just after 7am) and wanted to get up straight away so I yelled out Dadda!!, really loudly twice and Daddy promptly came in to get me. We were both pleased with that one.

Apparently I woke up May, our downstairs neighbour though. She can hear me banging on the window. I used to drop things in the bath and bang on the clothes bin and open and close the toilet lid, and now I know why I'm not allowed to do those things anymore. But I do like her, she gave me a great toy yesterday. It's a big boot with bits that open and close and has things in it. Very nice of her. And I like her dog, Scotty. He tries to lick me on the face. Although he is a bit dumb. He runs in front of our car and won't get out of the way. Very dopey.

On Saturday Mummy was still sick so Daddy and I went off to do the shopping. Instead of walking up to Camberwell, Daddy and I caught the tram. It was so cool. I sat on the seat and looked out the window and walked around a bit too. But the tram jolted at one stage and I nearly fell over so I went straight back to Daddy. We went through the market and I just had the best time. We went to the fish market and all the people there were so nice and chatty. One man showed me this really big fish and he opened and closed it's mouth. I've eaten fish plenty of times but I didn't know it looked like that before getting to my plate. I stared at all the fish lying there and they stared back at me. It was very weird.

I've started swimming lessons. I'm not doing Gymbaroo anymore so I'm swimming instead. M & D and I went to the pool on monday morning where there were heaps of little kids. My friends Charlie and Thomas were there with their parents as well. First up I had to put on my swimming cozzie. That got me feeling vulnerable straight away. I had on my speedos underneath an all-in-one suit, which looked good but was really quite uncomfortable. Then Mummy and I waded in to the pool and I got a bit anxious. The teacher wanted the parents to hold us under the arms but there was no way I was going to let go of Mummy. I clamped my legs around her waist and grabbed her arm really tight. Then I saw that Charlie and Thomas were having a great time so I relaxed a bit and let Mummy move me about a bit more. We danced around to songs, sat on the edge and jumped (got pulled) into the pool and played "What's the time Mr. Wolf". The only bit I didn't like was when they put some rings around me that were meant to keep me afloat. I felt very claustrophobic and wanted to get out of them straight away. I sooked a bit until I saw the big grin on Thomas' face so I put up with it until they told us to take them off. I saw Daddy sitting at the side and tried to climb out to him but he didn't come to help and I got pulled back in to the water. Not fair. I was so exhausted afterwards I fell asleep as soon as we got home.

I'm having a banana fetish at the moment. They are just so nice to eat. Squelchy and smooth in my mouth, and they don't hurt my gums. And they're sweet. I have a book that has a page of different fruits, so when I want a banana, I take the book to M or D and point to the banana and say "ah, ah, ah!". I know they know what I mean, but they don't always get one for me. I was horrified yesterday when Mummy told me that I can only have bananas every second day now. Someone's put that idea into her head and I'm not impressed. I'll just have to appeal to Daddy when Mummy's not around.

Saturday, April 13, 2002
Daddy's home! Mummy and I went to the airport yesterday to pick him up. I hadn't really planned anything special for when I saw him, but when I did, I realised that I was a bit peeved that he'd been away. So I feigned indifference. Daddy smiled at me and I just looked past him. But when he picked me up and cuddled me I couldn't help it, I smiled. My grumps lasted for about 3 minutes and then I was happy to see him and cuddled back. We then went to Brunetti's for coffee before heading home. By this time I'd completely missed out on my morning nap and was sick of being in either the pram or the car. Hence I was very cranky. I just needed a good run around and I didn't get it. Mummy has been sick for the week and I haven't been out enough, so I'm craving some decent exercise.

So I've had to find things around the house to entertain me. I've sussed out the light switch in my room. I can flick it on and off really quickly now and know that when the switch is down, the light is on, and when the switch is up, it's dark. I found my night light and turned that on and off before pulling it out of the wall and leaving it in the loungeroom. I pulled out bottles of wine from the box under my bed and took them to M & D since they were going out last night. It's quite hard to walk when holding a bottle of wine, but I know not to drop them. I've dropped Stephanie's Cooks Companion on my foot before and suspect that a wine bottle would hurt just as much. I carefully squatted and lowered a bottle of Domain Chandon to the floor and Mummy was quite impressed.

I can now climb onto M & D's bed without any help and get to the telephone. It's so much fun pressing all the buttons on the base station. I can change the volume of the ring, I have reset the answering message, and I even left 10 messages on the machine. It was very funny; Mummy went to listen to the messages, pressed play, and there was me giggling.

I've been spending a lot of time on the balcony. I love the stones that are on the bonsais - they feel really nice in my mouth. But Mummy doesn't like me to put them in my mouth so I have to do it surreptitiously. Each time she asks me to spit them out, I run around the loungeroom until she catches me and then I spit them out. My record so far is four stones at once. I can also open and close the balcony door and I make sure it's closed before I go for the stones.

One really interesting thing I've discovered, that M & D hate, is the variety of buttons on the computer. I found one that makes a tray slide out. If I push it again, it slides in. When the tray was out, I grabbed it and tried to pull it out further and it did come out quite a long way, much to Mummy's horror when she found me. I got removed from the scene straight away and haven't been able to get back there since.

I've had another tooth come through. It's a big one on the bottom gum. I'm pleased to have it but I've discovered that it's really easy to bite my tongue now, having teeth on the top and bottom, so I'll have to be careful. I drew blood this afternoon - very sore.

Daddy is reworking the look and feel of my website. He's had lots of feedback and it's not finished yet so stay tuned. I don't like the pink either.

Sunday, April 07, 2002
Bethany let me kiss her. Well, she kissed me really. She gave me this cheeky grin, then leant forward and planted one on my lips. I feel very honoured! I bet Timmy hasn't had a kiss from her. Mummy and Bethany's parents, Stuart and Michelle all cheered so they obviously approved.

Bethany and her parents came over yesterday arvo and I had lots of play time with them. Bethany liked my rocks and broom on the balcony, but she didn't like my eeyore rocking horse. I got on it several times to show her how easy and fun it was and even took one hand off while I was rocking. But then I fell off. I fell sideways and eeyore fell on top of me and I hit my head on the ground. I was horrified. I bawled and bawled and completely forgot about trying to impress Bethany. I just wanted to be cuddled by my Mummy. My head hurt for the rest of the night and I had to persuade Mummy to give me some panadol.

I woke up today feeling much better and think I'm nearly over my cold. After my morning nap Mummy and I went out to Ringwood and I met Les and Marianne. They have a wonderful house with so many things to explore. I could have spent ages poking around the rooms there. The backyard was even better and I romped around looking at the plants and sorting the pegs. I discovered bellbirds. They make a very different sound to the birds we get at home. They drank from a birdbath that was lovely and warm to put my hand into. Marianne taught me how to say meow. Mummy's been saying something similar for a while but I didn't really get it. But the way Marianne said it was much clearer, so now I know that the soft, fat cat on the couch says meow, and I can say it really well. I also got to have a play on a real piano. That sounded much, much nicer than my little one at home.

My family are starting to understand what I'm saying better now. They can understand: bellybutton (bedden bur), car (ar), plane (ain), train (ain) and tram (uh), but I have to point as well, just to make sure they get it. I can also say hair (air) and ear (ee-ah) and eye, although Mummy tries to stop me poking her in the eye.

Saturday, April 06, 2002
I think I have a cold. I've been coughing a bit and sneezing. Yesterday I slept such a lot. My morning sleep was for longer than 2 1/4 hours and my afternoon sleep was my usual 1 1/2 hours. I still went to bed at my normal 7pm and woke this morning at 6.30 which was great. I woke up full of beans and Mummy didn't try to make me go back to sleep. Still no Daddy though... :(

Thursday, April 04, 2002
I'm just back from playgroup. We were at Timmy's house and he has heaps of different toys to me. I had a great time sifting through them all. Bethany was there looking particularly cute today. Her hair is getting really long and it bounces up in these little curls. Most of us were complaining about gum pain so at least I'm not alone. I wore my new cords and pronounce them an excellent buy. Very comfy and I look very smart in them.

I was a bit sad this morning. I'd just had my brekky when the door buzzer went. I instantly thought that it would be Daddy back from a run. When the door opened it was Nan and Granddad and I was so disappointed. They'd come over to give me some Mummy-free time which was really nice, but I wanted my Daddy. I cried, I couldn't help it. But I was really happy to see Nan and Granddad too. Nan and I went to Brunetti's after dropping Granddad at work and this time I ate brioche. Mmmm, very yummy. Then we went for a play at Albert Park Lake. Nan pulled out some more Brioche and I was very impressed that she brought some extra for me, since playing is such hard work. But then she broke off bits and threw it to the ducks! I couldn't believe it. Ducks and swans and seagulls came from everywhere and Nan expected me to throw them MY brioche. No way! I ate what I could get my hands on and glared at the ducks instead.

Tuesday, April 02, 2002
I just want a nice, quiet day at home. A bit of sorting, some constructing and deconstructing, a few stories and maybe a play in the park. Iíve seen so many people over the last few days; Iím all peopled out. Thatís not to say I donít like seeing them. I love seeing them, just not all on the same two days.

This Easter has been a bit strange. First up, we took Daddy to the airport and left him there. Iíve now had three nights without him and am starting to miss him. I thought I saw him in bed this morning, and went running up to him, but it turned out to be Spanky lying on Daddyís side of the bed, under the covers. Nasty trick.

Sunday morning I woke up at my usual time, maybe a little earlier, and was greeted by a particularly fuzzy Mummy telling me to go back to sleep. I admit it was a little darker than usual but not much. She disappeared and left me in bed. I wasnít impressed. There was the matter of a damp, stinky nappy, and I was hungry. And I was very awake. I grumbled for about another 15 minutes before she got me up and tried to tell me that I woke at 5.30am. Iíd had my usual sleep so that just didnít make sense. Anyway, not my problem, I had things to do.

Sunday arvo we visited the Hoskenís and Uncle Adam gave me a bag of coloured balls to play with. They were very pretty, and they sparkled and rustled. For some reason Mummy wouldnít open the bag for me. I didnít know why, werenít they mine? Then she took them off me and I understood why. I heard the word ďchocolateĒ. The stuff that Mummy secretly scoffs by herself. Daddy has let me have some before but unfortunately heís not here. So the balls are in a bowl out of my reach and Iím going to keep a close eye on them. They were given to ME so I should choose who eats them. Obviously me. I just have to work out how to get to them.

Anyway, on with my day. We then went on to Aunty Joís for a quick visit before going to Cindie, Andrew and Harryís house. By the time we got there I was very thirsty and my gums were really starting to ache again. Turned out that a Doctor was there looking at Harry who had been sick. We nearly went home again, but decided not to. Both Harry and I were in bad moods so I didnít have much fun. My gums felt like they were going to explode and I couldnít help crying. I cried for ages and eventually fell asleep in the portacot. I was expecting to be woken when it was time to go home, but I woke in the morning in the same bed with Mummy lying in the bed next to me. She tried to tell me Iíd woken too early again, but rather than leaving me in my bed I got to lie in hers. Well, I lay still for about 5 seconds at a time I think. That was quite fun; crawling over her, having a snuggle, crawling back again and generally chatting. Eventually we got up and so did the others. Harryís mood hadnít improved, and Cindie and Andrew were walking zombies. Apparently he woke every two hours and cried for ages. Glad he didnít wake me up.

After my morning nap we all went shopping. Now that was my kind of shopping trip. Five-minute car trip, straight into a carpark especially for babies and their families and straight into the baby-wear section of Myer. We got me two pairs of cords for winter, one blue and one orange, and a really smart looking polo shirt. Harry got heaps of stuff too. I wanted some more pyjamas but they were all horrible, so we settled with just the daywear.

Finally Mummy took me home and I was so glad to potter around and have some lunch. But straight after lunch we went out again and arrived at Grannyís house to see her, Ros and Aunty Jo. I was so tired I just sat on Grannyís knee and looked at the garden. I happily got into the portacot for an afternoon snooze and stayed there for nearly two hours.

I was so happy to get into my own bed last night. I slept right through the night and woke up feeling much better. Of course I got told it was 5.30 again and to go back to sleep. Thatís getting a bit tiresome.

Monday, April 01, 2002
Hello friends. Sorry for the lack of entries over the last few days. I'm tired and grouchy and my mouth is very sore. I'll write tomorrow as long as I feel better so send me some nice healing energy please. I need it.


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License