Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Wednesday, February 27, 2002
Eeek. Kalamata Man has been reading my journal and knows that I used to be scared of him. How embarrassing!! And he also discovered that we call him Kalamata Man! Ooh boy. I wanted to shrink into my pram when Mummy told him he was shaped like a kalamata olive. There are certain things you just don't need to say. Or ask - like asking a baby if he's scared of you!! I'm so glad no-one else was around. Thankfully Jenny had gone home - I would have been even more embarrassed if she was there. I tried to get him back by surreptitiously pinching a block of cheese off the bench but Mummy stopped me. I just have to think more about this one.

I went to the Zoo on Sunday night with M & D plus Cindie, Harry and Andrew. I had a wow of a time. I ran such a long way on the grass and even tried to climb a tree with Harry (with a bit of help from Cindie and Daddy). We had to stop once a security guard with nothing better to do came to tell us off. There was a band playing the whole time and I even had a dance with some people in front of the band. Only problem was that Mummy kept grabbing me as if I was getting in the way. I was watching the dancers feet trying to imitate them but they did threaten to bump into me a few times.

I had a yummy dinner under the trees. Cindie cooked Harry and me a drumstick each and I had to admit I had no idea what to do with it. I banged it on my tray and then Mummy told me that it was food. She pulled a bit off it and it turned out that it was chicken. I tried to eat some but I just don't have enough teeth at the moment. Mummy and Daddy enjoyed it though. I was happy with baked beans and pasta salad.

Yesterday M & D and I went out for brekky to a cafe in Richmond. It was very relaxing. I settled back in my pram and ate a hot cross bun while M & D had pastries. They read the paper while I watched the trams. Very nice.

Monday, February 25, 2002
I had two big falls a couple of days ago. The first one was when I was out on the balcony. There was this brief window of time when I could see that both M & D were busy doing things, so I climbed onto a chair and up onto the table. I've tried many times to get up there but Mummy always pulled me down saying it was "dangerous", but I don't know what that word means. So I finally got up there alone and was admiring the view when the table fell over with me on it. Or straight off it as the case may be. I landed on the tiles and the table came down on my leg and I got wedged against the pot-plants. Today I'm sporting a very impressive bruise on my thigh.

Then Friday night we had dinner at Nan and Grandad's. I had a great time despite not liking my dinner and being thrust in the bath and undressed while the water was running. I got dressed in my new p.j's and was gleefully running up and down the kitchen when I tripped and fell. It just happened that the doorway was just in front of me and my head hit the corner as I came down. Now that's the most pain I've ever been in - my forehead caved in completely but thankfully bounced back into shape after some cuddles from M & D. I have a nice bruise from that too.

Places to hide things (keys, remote controls, sunglasses, etc):

- on the cookbooks in the bookshelf
- in the urn
- in a cup
- in the bath
- in my cupboard
- in the toilet

Special secret place to hide Mummy's visa card:
- ha ha! not telling!!!

Thursday, February 21, 2002
I met this fascinating man today. His name was Erik and he had this amazing, big voice. He had an American accent - I've never met anyone with a voice like that. He smiled at me and joked with me and I decided I liked him. And he spoke the same gobbledegook language I hear Daddy speaking on the phone. Well he started to speak like that but he must have noticed that I wasn't understanding him because he toned it down a bit. He patiently explained all about Daddy's work to me so I better understand what Daddy does and why he has to go away. It was very nice of him to do that for me. Mummy listened in too and said she'd ease up a bit on Daddy now she knows what a star he is. Well, we both knew he was a star but it's nice to hear it from someone else. Thanks Erik!

I got my very own couch yesterday. It's blue with a yellow bird printed all over it, although I think it looks much more like a duck than a bird. Anyway it's great. It folds out so I can sit on it, or lol around on my belly if I like. I sat on it this morning to read my books and it was very comfy.

We had playgroup at Thomas' house today. He's so funny when he talks. He waves and jerks and waggles his hands around like he's making a really important point. He certainly gets everyones attention. Apparently it's his Italian blood. Anyway I wouldn't know if he's making a good point or not because I can't understand a word he says. You might think that all babies understand each other but not so. I do understand most babies my age but I think Thomas must speak a different language. Or maybe it's just his volume - he's so LOUD. I just stare at him in amazement and don't really listen to what he's saying. Come to think of it, I do that with most adults too.

Actually I do pay attention sometimes. I know what hands are now. I point to a picture on the wall of Mummy's hands and open mine. M & D are very pleased with that.

Daddy set the toaster on fire this morning. It was a good bit of entertainment for the morning. Flames were coming out of it and heaps of stinky smoke while Daddy stood there looking a bit stunned. Mummy pulled out a fire blanket and ordered Daddy about and eventually he took it out to the balcony. I did my best to get to it for a better look but I couldn't reach. Boy did the house stink afterwards though. Sure outdid any nasty smells I've made before.

Now that I'm able to eat more chunky food, I want to try everything that M & D eat. I had some lamington today but I sure had to plead for it. Yesterday I had some soda and lime. That was nice. Today I had some banana cake - very yummy. But I have noticed something that Mummy just won't share with me. Chocolate. I don't think she should be able to sneak off to Haigh's and quaff down a bar in front of me without offering me any. Or taking any home for Daddy. She should know that I'm going to dob her in to Daddy if she does it again...

I must have accumulated lots of points or something. I've been moved up to business class. I finally got it through to Mummy that her food was BORING. I wouldn't eat it for 3 nights running so Daddy took over. First night, pasta with tomato and vegie sauce - YUM! Then a similar sauce with brown rice - YUM! Then tuna and veg with rice and soy sauce - VERY YUM! So I think I'll sack Mummy from dinner but I still like her lunches so she can do them.

Daddy and I went for a big walk a couple of days ago. We went to the library and didn't take my pram so I walked the whole way. It was great fun, I looked all around and stopped to examine things. We went past a house with a goose in the front yard. I wanted to stay there and watch it - it looked like a big duck but sounded different. I then picked out books from the library to take home and we met Mummy who thankfully had the car.

Monday, February 18, 2002
I'm learning lots of things really quickly now. Last week I worked out how to clap hands. That's good fun since it gets such a good reaction from any adults around. I can also pat my tummy - adults like that one too. I can also now understand some things that M & D tell me, like it's bath time. Then I run into the bathroom saying mmm ba, ba, ba! (I haven't quite got the "th" sound). Of course I understand everything they say but they babble so much that I just ignore most of it.

I had a most excellent night last night at Cindie, Andrew and Harry's place. Harry showed me all his cool new toys and we went about the loungeroom together flicking all the switches on and off. Daddy let me sit on xena, the dog. That was pretty good, except she's so hairy it flies everywhere.

So dinner was a novel experience again. This time it was wokked vegies with hokkien noodles and teriyaki sauce. I've never eaten noodles before so it took me a while to work out how to eat them. They were slippery and far too long. They were more fun to play with than eat but after Mummy broke a few bits up for me and I watched Harry eating his, I did eat a bit. Then Harry upended his all over the floor and I thought that was a good idea too, but Mummy was hovering too close to attempt the manouvere. Next time.

A special hello to Nan Barbara and all the nice ladies and girls at Penleigh. I'm looking forward to coming to see you all some time...

Friday, February 15, 2002
Yesterday some of the gang met up at a new indoor playcentre, BillyLids4Kids. We had the BEST fun. It opened yesterday so we were the first babies (I think) to use it and we had the whole place to ourselves.

There was a bouncing castle, and we fell all over the place on that. Then we got into bugs that looked like cars and went round and round and up and down. That was excellent. Mummy insisted on sitting in the front seat with me since she didn't want to be alone in the back so I held her hand since she obviously needed some reassurance. Not all the boys liked that ride so they stopped it after a short while which was a bummer. I climbed all about these huge tunnels and slides and once again Mummy followed me everywhere. She must have been feeling insecure.

There was so much to do that I decided to go back today, with Daddy as well. I dragged him all over the place to show him all the good spots and he huffed and puffed keeping up with me. We came across a couple of really steep, dark tunnels that I didn't want to go down. But Daddy really wanted to, so I had to go down first to show him it was safe. Well, I went down once he pushed me. I had to admit that it WAS fun though.

We got in the bugs again but this time I had the front seat to myself and Daddy sat in the back. Mummy had a bug to herself on the other side and a couple of other babies and their Mums came along as well. Come to think of it, there were more adults than babies. I know what these centres are about - adult using kids as an excuse to have a good play. Well, I don't care, as long as I can go back there.

Daddy's home! Mummy and I went to pick him up from the airport yesterday and it was soooo good to see him again. He brought me back the hugest duck I've ever seen. It takes up half the bath. And he also brought me my own set of crockery with "Wild Thing" on it and a picture of a monster. Apparently it's unbreakable so I've been trying to chuck it off my highchair to test it out but M or D are always there to stop me. I'll just have to do it surreptitiously when they aren't watching.

I forgot to write about my weekend which was nearly a week ago now. Mummy and I went to Glenferrie Road and ran into Gabriel who was out walking his parents, Dusty and Rob. I had only met Rob once before but decided I liked him very much because he gave me some hot cross bun. Yum! The quick way to my heart! We went back to their house and I had a good play with Gabriel in their backyard. He can throw a ball very well so I'll see if he can give me some tips.

Then I had the evening with Nan and Grandad while Mummy went to the cycling with Uncle Adam. I got to stay up really late this time, until 8.30pm. Boy I had to work hard to cover up my tiredness though. I was exhausted the next day. I slept for 4 1/2 hours on Sunday in two naps. I usually sleep for about 3 hrs during the day, so I had a big catch-up.

Wednesday, February 13, 2002
I had my hair cut again a couple of days ago. It was nearly as awful as the first time. I went to a different person, Tony, and Uncle Adam, Grandad and Great Grandad all go there. He had this big, scary lot of fuzz under his nose - I've never seen THAT before.

I hate the cape. It's hot under there and hair gets through onto my clothes anyway. Hair got ito my eyes and I tried to wipe it away but Mummy kept holding my arms down. I had to sit in front of a mirror where I could see my hair being cut in half and see myself crying. It was horrible as well as embarrassing.

At least Mummy and Uncle Adam tried to make up for it by playing with me at the park for ages.

A couple of days later I have to say that my hair actually does look pretty good.

Monday, February 11, 2002
I've just worked out why Mummy has been in such a good mood today. Daddy comes home tomorrow. Yippee!!!

We've just got back from gymbaroo and it was great fun today. I climbed through tunnels, up ramps, along a high bridge, bounced on the trampoline and stuck sticks through holes. I met another boy, Huw, who was only 10 months but he was walking really well. AND he could put the sticks through the holes - I only worked that out two weeks ago. I tried to assert my authority by barging past him in the tunnel, but he got me back by trying to walk over my head on the bridge. That's the sort of thing I would have done in his situation so I decided that I liked him. There were the most excellent bubbles that kept appearing from behind me and drifting away. Heaps banged into the back of my head and I ended up with wet, sticky hair.

I had a good morning too. We did the shopping at Safeway and I worked out how much fun sitting in the trolley could be. I grabbed the shopping list and thought I'd help Mummy find the things on it. I picked out some museli, but she didn't want that one and put it back. I looked after the puffed rice and amaranth (whatever that is), but didn't want any almonds so I chucked them over the side. Then we got to the check-out and I tried to pull the lady ahead's trolley out of our way. She kept grabbing it back so we played tug-of-war which was fun. Then I noticed all the bright, coloured little sticks right at my height. Playthings for ME! Apparently not according to Mummy who frantically tried to keep my hand away from them. I'll try to grab them more surreptitiously next time we go.

Friday, February 08, 2002
I've been helping Mummy on the balcony. She showed me how to use the watering can and the brush, so I've been watering the ground and sweeping the plants. Um, I mean watering the plants and sweeping the ground. Hmmm, actually I think I've been doing both.

Sigh. I miss my Daddy.

We went back to the gym yesterday. I tried to be brave, I looked around at the other kids and only one of them was crying. But that was enough, it set me off too. The ladies there bustled Mummy out the door and took me away. I had some lunch there (in between sobs) and gradually felt a bit better. Maybe I was just hungry. The other boy stopped crying and so did I. Then I noticed the train set. They have this great set of rails and trains so I had a good look at that. There were a couple of bossy girls there who kept snatching the rails from me but one of the ladies was watching and made them give them back. That was nice of her so I offered the rails to her to play with but she didn't want them. I went exploring once I got bored of the trains and was checking out the other rooms when Mummy came back. She expected me to drop everything and leave there and then but I wasn't ready. She could wait. I kept exploring and was examining the carpet sweeper when she grabbed me and swept out the door. I wonder when we're going back?

Wednesday, February 06, 2002
I had the WORST day yesterday. It started out okay with shopping and a cafe stop first thing. But then it went downhill after my morning nap. Mummy took me to the gym with her. I was quite excited at first. There were all these huge coloured climbing frames everywhere, except big people were playing with them. We went into a smaller room with a few kids my age and smaller play things and I set about exploring. Mummy was talking to a lady there and then said bye to me, but I didn't take much notice at the time. I thought she would be back in a few minutes to play with me. After 5 minutes I'd had enough exploring and started wondering where Mummy was. I asked the ladies in the room where she was but they only smiled at me so I got a bit anxious. 15 minutes later she still hadn't come back and I was really worried by then. I couldn't help crying a bit and I insisted that one of the ladies go and get Mummy. So off one of them went to find her but she came back 5 minutes later alone. They took off my overalls since I was really hot by then and tried to calm me with water and biccies but I just wanted my Mummy. I wailed and wailed and walked around in circles looking for a way out. I yelled at the lady to go and get my Mummy and this time she did. Mummy walked in all hot and sweaty and cuddled me but by then I could hardly breathe I was so upset. I eventually calmed down a bit and Mummy took me home. She was my complete servant after that. I got heaps of cuddles and she did everything I asked her to, including reading me Where's Spot 4 times, Pajama Time twice, and Dinosaurs 3 times.

But my bad day didn't end there. Late in the arvo we went for a walk downstairs. We went around the grass and looked at the water fountain, then went into the carpark where May and Scotty were playing (our neighbours). I had a great time running about the place. Mummy was gossiping with May so I kept running away from her and she kept chasing after me. That was fun. What wasn't fun was when I had my bath later on and discovered that I had blisters on my feet from all my running around. Mummy had nicked off again and left me with Aunty Jo and it took me about 5 minutes of wailing and gesticulating to get the message through to her that my feet were really hurting in the bath water. How slow can a person be? Once Jo finally got me out of the bath I ran around the house trying to avoid her and glared at her. After a bit my feet stopped stinging and I was able to get back into the bath, although it was a lot cooler. I enjoyed the rest of my bath and had some story time while I waited for Mummy to come and put me to bed. But she didn't come. Aunty Jo put me to bed but I wasn't having any of that. I wanted my Mummy!! I ranted and raved so Jo let me out again. But after 10 minutes she put me back to bed so I yelled some more, and then woke up in the morning.

Monday, February 04, 2002
My excitement for today was not so much the trip to gymbaroo as when Mummy dropped her car keys down a drain when we went to go home. I was comfortably on her hip and had nothing whatsoever to do with the dropping of the keys. I'll just make that clear. So we went into a car service centre and a man came out with some tools to try to grab the keys with. I kept up a running commentary for them both, like: "that tool's not long enough; you won't fit it through the gap that way; a bit to your left; that's got it, now pull it out" but neither of them showed any signs of understanding what I said at all. Anyway, it all ended well with only about a 10 minute delay so that was good.

Bethany came over in the morning which was a wonderful surprise. We ganged up on Mummy and Michelle who clearly wanted to gossip and ignore us, but we weren't having any of that. I shared some of my toys with her and even let her eat some of my sultanas. But mostly we hassled our Mummys which was most fun.

I even got to see Uncle Adam this afternoon. He'd just walked in the door from Sydney when Mummy dashed over and left me with him while she nicked off. Now I love Uncle Adam, don't get me wrong, but I was a bit embarrassed about her behaviour, taking advantage of him like that. Anyway, where was she going that she didn't want me with her...?

Sunday, February 03, 2002
I've worked out how to turn the TV off. I'm very pleased with myself about that. And it's funny that Mummy gets so upset about it, especially if the cricket is on. I haven't worked out how to turn it on though. Maybe there's another button I have to find. I've also got the DVD player sussed out. I didn't know what to expect when I pushed all the buttons but after a while out slid a James Bond DVD, so I'll have to remember what I did. I was about to grab it but Mummy came dashing over and foiled my plan.

One of my favourite things to do at the moment is to look through bags. In Mummy's bag I find her sunglasses and try to put them on. I get her hairbrush and brush my hair (well, try to). I also go through her wallet and pull out all the cards in there. Aunty Jo's bag was really interesting. There were all sorts of weird things in there - bottles, jars, books, heaps of things to look through.

My least favourite things at the moment are having my nappy changed and having my nails cut. I hate them both. I can't wait 'til I'm big enough to go to the toilet myself. And if I had my way I"d NEVER cut my nails. What's wrong with long nails? Long nails are good - they make good sounds, I can tickle my own tummy and I can scratch...


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License