Illustration by Claire Robertson

My Name is Oskar Tex Hosken and I'm four years old. Daddy built my website for me and Mummy helps me write my journal. I have a little sister, Jasmine, who also has a website.

Read my guestbook

oskar at neuronwave dot com

Wednesday, June 27, 2001
On Monday I went to see a nice man - Dr. Andrew - and he smiled at me and talked to me, then he pulled up the leg of my pants and called me thunder thighs!! I was so horrified I almost didn't notice that he snuck a needle into my leg as well. Thunder thighs indeed! Mum told him they were all muscle but he said very nicely that she was kidding herself. Hmpf. But then he pulled out this really cool toy and jumped up and down a bit and I forgot all about the injection.

This morning Mum and I went to the library for the "Tinytots" reading session. There were a heap of other babies and bigger kids and parents all running around making noise. The librarian sat in front and sang songs and read books and was really great. I was tired but managed to pay attention for the whole session before telling Mum that I'd had enough. She borrowed some books for me so I'm looking forward to more reading later today.

I can move around my cot quite well now. Mum and Dad wrap me up for sleep time but I'm getting bigger and stronger and can get out of the wrapping easily. At 2 this morning I woke up and wanted the covers off me so I wiggled about and ended up on my tummy across the cot instead of lengthways. The problem is that my legs get stuck through the side of the cot and I can't flip back onto my back. So I fell asleep on my tummy - the first time I've done that - although I'm not meant to. It was comfy though.

Monday, June 25, 2001
I've just had my first weekend away! We went to Phillip Island and stayed with Cindie, Andrew and Harry in a little flat. It was soooo windy! We went to the blowhole and Dad pulled me out of my pram and let me feel the wind in my face. I've never seen waves like that before. Come to think of it I've never seen waves before at all. And the sound was amazing - roaring waves and wind - a great experience. We had lunch in a big glass room up on a hill with a view over the water. Harry and I sat at the table with the grown-ups and ate our lunch too.

I've had a few new foods lately. My dinner has been quinoa with carrot, zucchini and parsnip. Mmmm. Not bad, not sure about the parsnip though. And Mum did my rice with chicken stock which gave it a different flavour. This morning she gave me some kiwi fruit with my millet and apple. But she didn't mash it up very well and it got stuck in my throat. When I opened my mouth to get it out she shoved more food in!! So I had a big coughing fit and got it all out. Mum got a bit worried and put me on her lap and patted my back which succeeded in helping me bring up the rest of my brekky. Down her leg, down the chair leg and onto the carpet.
I can't wait till I can feed myself like Harry. I saw him take a huge bit of banana, shove it in his mouth, spit it out and drop it on the floor. Cindie picked it up and gave it back to him and he threw it on the floor again. What fun!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2001
On Sunday Aunty Jo came over and I got to have a bath with her! We had a great time - lots of splashing about and playing with my starfish and boats. The floor got a bit wet but hey, that's not my problem.

I met up with Harry and Annabelle at the pool again on Monday while Mum had a swim. They both crawl all over the place. I'm trying but I just don't get very far at the moment. I can move about a metre but I'm puffed out after that. I got to have a cuddle with Cindie which I always like...

I went to Camberwell market with Mum on tuesday as we do a couple of times a week. I love it there - all these scarey looking blokes come up to me and make funny faces and I can't help but laugh, they look so stooopid! I still haven't got used to Kalamata Man though - he really is scarey.

Sunday, June 17, 2001
I went to see Nurse Helen at the Health Centre on Friday. I'm now over 8 1/2 kilos and 71 cm long! Looks like I'm going to be tall when I grow up. She thinks my bottom teeth will pop through soon - that's good, maybe they'll stop being so sore. They've been bothering me lately especially at night. Mum has to rock and sing me to sleep which does help.

We went shopping with Granny a couple of days ago. We all had a great time, especially me, I got lots of new clothes and toys. I'm now wearing my new red overalls with a blue and beige striped top underneath and warm shoes that stay on my feet. I also have a "Smoking Jacket" that I'm sure will impress Bethany. I look very suave in it. Except Bethany is away for another 2 1/2 months and counting...

I've been eating yummy food twice a day now. I have apple and millet for brekky which is very yummy and then brown rice goop with a vegetable in the evening. I like carrot and pumpkin now that Mum purees it but I'm not sure about the cauliflower. She slipped it in here and there with my rice so I had eaten quite a bit before I realised that it really wasn't very nice. Granny says she probably overcooked it and that it gets a funny flavour if you do that. I also tried zucchini last night. That wasn't too bad actually, although it looked awful, watery light green with dark green bits all through it. Mum said I had zucchini poo this morning...

I had brekky at Brunetti's on Saturday with all the Hosken clan. It was great - that was the first time that I got to eat at the table too. Mum brought my brekky in a container and fed me there - I felt very grown up. But she had too much coffee and I was wired for the rest of the day.

Thursday, June 14, 2001
I've been so busy lately. The week has just flown by. We ran into Gabriel and his mum Dusty yesterday. Our mums yakked on and so did we. His gums have been really sore lately - he has one tooth out a long way and another just peeking through. I was very impressed. I don't have any showing yet and he's only 3 days older than me. We are now 6 months old.
We then went out for a walk later in the day and Mum thought she was really clever by checking the radar before we left to see where the rain was. She thought we had a good hour and a half before the heavy stuff hit. So we got half way through our walk and got completely drenched in a downpour. We sheltered in a framing shop and then dashed to Gabriel's around the corner where our mums gasbagged again. Meanwhile Mum left my pram on the porch and it got *really* wet in the next downpour. Gabriel and Dusty were nice enough to lend us their mountain buggy with a plastic cover so we could get home. Ooh, it was nice! Cozy lambskin to lie back on and the drizzle on the cover... then I woke up at home.

I can sit quite well now. It gets easier each day. I can stop myself from falling forwards now but still fall backwards if I'm not careful (If Mum's not careful!).

I had a nice evening with Nan last night when Mum and Dad went to the Ballet. I got lots of cuddles but boy she's slow with the nappy changes. She took fully half an hour to put on my PJ's. Okay it wasn't that long but it felt like it. And okay, I did wiggle about a bit just to test the waters... But she passed with flying colours - very patient!

Mum, Dad and I went out for brekky this morning. We went to Caffe Latte. I haven't been there before but it's really nice. Well I was awake for the first five minutes I think before I fell asleep. Then I woke next door in the toy shop - yippee! they were buying for me again!. I got a lovely, smooth wooden toy which is easy to hold and feels nice in my mouth. Because that's important.

Some of the mothers group went to the Safety Centre in the Childrens Hospital this arvo. We got a lecture about how to keep us safe from burns, poisons and electric cords and stuff. Harry and Cindie came along too. Would you believe that Harry crawled up to me and reached over and took my dummy out of my mouth? I was too stunned to do anything. Boy, next time I'll show, show him how nice it is to suck on...., he's still bigger than me.

Sunday, June 10, 2001
Daddy's home, Daddy's home!!!! He went shopping in BabyGap and got me some pretty cool clothes. I have a baggy blue windcheater (or "sweater" in American), a Hawaiian shirt which is a little big for me at the moment but I'll be knocking the girls out in 6 months or so, and a red cap which fits me perfectly. Hey! Cute baby ready to rap!! I've had lots of fun playing with Dad this arvo - he rolls around the floor with me and hangs me upside down and throws me in the air - great fun!!

Yesterday I went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Art Gallery with Mum, Granny B, Aunty Jo and some of her friends. It was really, really dull. Lots of stuff written on the walls and these grotty little brown scraps with tiny marks on them in big glass boxes. What did everyone see in them? And it was really hot in there. Mum had to take me outside to cool off. Then I got hungry and there was nowhere private for Mum to feed me so she had to sit on the toilet in the baby change room. Dignified Huh?
The Highlight of the day was lunch at Brunetti's. I got to sit on Granny's lap and I tried to reach everything on the table. I got a spoon but they moved everything else. Hmpf.

We've just had arvo tea at Nan and Grandad's. I had a great time because I can sit now and reach forwards to grab toys. Nan shows me a little black cat in a box and I get to play with this great red, rattley thing which Dad used to play with when he was my age.

I've been trying to work out what's different about Grandad. It's that he's got this wirey hair on this face. No one else has hair on their faces. It's nice to touch though - a bit tougher than the hair on his head. A lot tougher than the hair on MY head. My hair is silky soft.

Friday, June 08, 2001
Gee I slept badly last night. Maybe it was the wind or the waning moon. I woke at 10.30, then 11.30, then 4.30, 5.30,6.30 and 7.30 when I got up. So then I get up to find that Mum is in a filthy mood and can hardly open her eyes. Hey, I'm the one who had the bad sleep!

Dad gets home in a couple of days and I heard he has lots of presents for me!!! I'll be the spunkiest boy in the group. Except that it won't matter... Bethany has gone to Canberra for 3 months. At least I got to see her a bit this week. We had lunch with Michelle and Bethany on wednesday which was really nice and then I saw them again at babies group yesterday. Bethany looked ultra cute in a pretty lemon outfit that showed off her figure....

We also saw Linda a couple of days ago and she is now 17 weeks pregnant and has a cute little tummy. But she and Alexandra and Ian are also going away. Hopefully we might get to stay with them up north for a few days. Alex is also really cute but she is 2 1/2 years older than me.

Wednesday, June 06, 2001
Well I got lots of cuddles last night. Mum and I had dinner at Nan and Grandad's and Uncle Adam came too. I showed them how I can lift my legs up and grab my toes, and how I can roll over from back to front now. My nose drips a bit when I'm on my tummy but I'm feeling better anyway.

I miss Daddy!

Monday, June 04, 2001
Waaaaa! I've got a cold. My nose is all drippy and my head feels fuzzy. Need lots of cuddles. Mum has to give me twice as many because Dad has gone overseas. He's not back 'til next week, that's ages away! Mum keeps trying to wipe my nose but I hate it when she does that. Then she complains when I wipe it on her shoulder. I thought that was okay - I've seen Dad do it...

Mum and I took Dad to the airport on Saturday morning. I'm not usually up that early but it was a nice trip in the car and I could look at the clouds and buildings the whole way. Then we went back to Brunetti's and met the rest of the Hosken clan for coffee. I got lots of cuddles from Nan, Grandad and especially Uncle Adam. I tried to wipe my nose surreptitiously on Uncle Adam's tummy but accidentally vomited instead. Ooops, sorry Uncle. I blame it on my cold. I wouldn't normally vomit on people....

We found an orange vegetable that I like. Carrots are yummy! I'm now having apple for morning tea and then carrot and brown rice for early evening dinner. I tried some millet which had a nice taste but a funny texture - I like my food nice and smooth. Mum said I can try some kiwi fruit in a couple of days.

We ran into Sue and Jake from the mothers group at the market on Saturday. I love Camberwell Market - we always run into people we know and all the traders come and talk to me. I haven't seen Bethany for ages...sigh. I hope she comes to the next group on thursday and brings her nice mummy too.


Taking in the view with Dad at Sandringham beach

A sort of preview birthday cake...(I turn 5 tomorrow!!!)

We're Dixie and Pumpy

Looooove the Kew Traffic School

We got you, Uncle Ad, now give up!

Are we too cool, or what?!

Watching the ducks on a breezy day...but nothing stops me from wearing my muscle shirt.

I'm not dizzy, no, no...

Whoaah!! Grampa made this for me!

Night-night, Mummy!

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
Creative Commons License